Restless leg syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good morning I wrote about this a few months ago and have been suffering with byrning in the lower part of my legs for 9 months . Have been on sever different tablets over this perio a and ended up taking 600 mg a day of Pregabilin. I saw different doctors in this time due to me changing surgerys and then doctors kept leaving . They all said the same it was restless legs even though I kept saying that it wasn't as my legs were not moving and I had no sensation that I wanted them to . 

I was referred to a neurologist and after waiting 17 weeks for the appointment   I went to see her for the 15 minute appointment only to be told yet again restless legs , she even sent me a letter saying this , but did say I was to have an MRI scan. Well another 6 weeks passes and I had the scan. The outcome according to the neurologist is I have transverse myelitis something quite rare. I read about it and cried my eyes out as the outcome was horrendous . Then I read more and again the description is nothing really as to what I have . Needles to say the tablets are in the bin, a waste of tax payers money and mine I might add for the past 9 months . I have another appontment with the neurologist in 5 weeks so any of of you sufferers watch this space 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Good luck with the neurologist Christine, hope it works out for you and that your neurologist can come up with the correct diagnosis and medication to rid you of said symptoms, shame there no way of claiming back the expenses you have rung up on being prescribed the 'incorrect' medication for all those months. I will watch this space for an update..........

My restless legs have slowly died down, no thanks to the fact I was prescribed 'Ranatidine' for excess stomach acid as I was being woken at 5-6 o'clock most mornings by it, luckily I had a check up with a different Dr to normal who asked me if I was aware that one of the side effects of 'Ranatidine' was restless legs.

Since being 'clean' of the opiate hell of the past ten years (3months and counting) I have started enjoying a beer with my evening meal, now I'm not talking about the usual beer of choice for opiate abusers I.e special brew, tenants super, strong cider etc, I have been enjoying a small bottle of 2% beer and still suffering with ole twitchy. 

However during a meeting with my drug councillor she mentioned to me that alcohol can bring on and increase the symptoms in sufferers of the legs syndrome. So I have since stopped any alcohol in the evening and stopped the 'Ranatidine' and the legs have almost returned to normal behaviour.

Im so pleased it's finally getting better and can only say to fellow sufferers try stopping evening alcohol and/or 'Ranatidine' if you are using either and see if you too notice a difference.

Good luck Christine. X

Good luck all sufferers.

• Posted

1970Zappa fan thank you!!  

I haven't been sleeping well for a long time and saw my GP yesterday because of other problems, including difficulty swallowing and bloating.  She gave me Ranatidine and Co-codomol to add to my drug collection.  Last night,  I was expecting to sleep reasonably well because of the co-codomol but no,  I had dreadful restless legs and thought it had to be one or other of these drugs.  I had been taking Hydroxyzine [an anti histamine] for 2 or 3 years and knew that that triggered RLS but fortunately, I no longer need to take that.

• Posted

Hi Christine, I apologise for hi-jacking your post!!

Good luck Christine,  I hope all goes well for you

• Posted

No problem any information is very useful but no body seems to have the symptoms I have. The neurologist says I have some lesions in my brain and if course beacUs eh used to smoke she blames it on that. I work for a doctors surgery and asked one of the doctors and they said no so.... Can't wait to go back and see the neurologist and get some answers thus time. What is the cure how long will this last etc etc. Slowly decreasing the tablets and tbh makes no difference than when I was pumping my body full of them. Will update she I have news and food luck to all of you out there with some disorder or other. Keep smiling eh 
    • Posted

Regarding your comment about the doctor blaming it on you smoking whenever you did, I have noticed that when doctors don't know the answer to something, they pick on a point and make that, even if it is twaddle!
    • Posted

Yes I agree with you . Smoking is the answer to everything in their minds . I wonder if I had never admitted to it what they would have blamed it on. ....eating food maybe. They did say it could be reacted to diabetes and op being over weight . I am very slight in build and not diabetic so they had to blame something lol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.