Restless Legs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there.  I've been on Prednisolone for 5 weeks now.Saw my GP for a review last week and he has reduced my dosage from 15mg to 12mg per day. I have to see him again in  2 weeks time.  So far so good apart from feeling a bit achey generally.  He is sure that the weakness in my legs and general fatigue is a side effect of the pred and should disappear as I reduce the dose further, which many of you have told me already.  My question now is this, have any of you suffered with restless legs since being on pred?  Most of the time it's not too bad but some days, particularly in the evening and during the night it can be quite troublesome.  Is this another side effect and is there anything I can do about it?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Three mg is a pretty big drop.  Stay aware of those aches.  They may just be pred withdrawal but if they start to get worse it means that the PMR is beginning to flare and you'll want to nip that in the bud.  After this reduction even if it goes well which I expect and hope it will, you should probably consider no more than a single mg drop per month, preferably using the dead slow and nearly stop method.  Sorry, can't help with the restless legs symptoms but others surely will!
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice.  My GP did say that if the pain did start to return to contact him immediately.
    • Posted

Oh that's good!  Sounds like he's aware then!
  • Posted

Restless leg syndrome for me correlated 100% with some degree of gastric distension, from a big meal and/or bloating from fermentation-prone foods.

I find that restless leg in progress can only be stopped by getting up from bed and walking around, doing tasks and/or doing stretches. This might be required up to several times per night.

I do a lot of outdoor exercise, so eat quite a bit, hence my gut reaching it's limits occasionally.  I find that it is just as easy to over-eat whether or not I have done a lot of exercise, but a little more exercise and a little less food usually assures a good night's uninterrupted rest.

• Posted

Thanks Dan but I don't think over eating is the cause in my case as I tend to eat more ir less the same amount every day and I'm not a big eater anyway but I'll bear your comments in mind.
  • Posted

Hi Fran.

Ive always had restless legs although not too bad, just annoying really. But since I've been on Pred it has been much worse. I find that it is worse after sitting for a while, getting up and stretching seems to be the best thing for me.

Another thing that the Pred seems to have made worse is my tinnitus. Had it for years and got used to blocking it out but now it has got really loud. Constant high pitched whining (sounds like my wife's description of me) which never stops or decreases. Anyone know whether it will subside with a lower dose of steroids?

• Posted

I know what you're feeling since I have been put on prednisone 20 mg for

Poly myalgia rheumatica my RLS is driving me crazy.

I used Prami Pexola for 30 years same dose never gone up and it helped but now it is really bad cannot sleep at night walk round the apartment all night.

I have not found anything else in all these years that worked better than the Prami Pexola

maybe chat to your doctor about it.

Karin

• Posted

You do know that this post is four years old and there are probably only a couple of people who will see your reply?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.