restless legs

Posted , 4 users are following.

?i've had restless leg,s along time i cant sleep as soon as i lie down i just have to get up my life is a misery and i mean that i take 4 sifrol and a codeine tablet does anyone who has the same thing know  anything better  i've been under the Hospital but they cant do anymore what do you do to get some relief please share   

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Lots of things can help you! You are on a Dopamine Agonist (DA) and if it is not effective you may have reached Tolerance. Don’t allow GP to increase your dose as this can lead to Augmentation (a worsening which takes a time to get thro!). Other DA’s are Ropinorole or Neupro patches which are worth trying. Another group are Gaba’s: Pregablin and Gabapentin. Important to wean off your DA (Sifrol) over weeks and ramp up the new drug. An opiate can help you during changeover and can be a longer term solution eg Tramadol. GP’s are resistant to opiates and need encouraging so you need to read up. Try googling RLS, Augmention, DA’s etc, loads of help on the forums RLShelp.org,

RLS-uk etc. 

Also need to check your Ferritin level, any other meds you may be taking, your triggers such as eating late, alcohol, spicy foods etc

Good luck 

John

• Posted

Hi James. I have had restless for a number of years on and off. The end of last year I was put on Ropiniriole this had helped me get some sleep at night but after lunch I notice it is back again. I take my tablet with my evening meal
  • Posted

2 most effective things for me, soaking in a hot bath and using a bean bag as follows:  I make my bean bags with flannel and the cover with fleece.  8 inches by 20 inches, fill with approximately 6 cups of winter red hard wheat berries (so when laying flat about 1 inch high).  Heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes, take out and move around to mix wheat berries, and heat another 2-3 minutes.  Lie in bed face down with rear end up (looking cute:-), and bag at back of knees, between both legs, touching thighs and calfs.  Instant relief.  The wheat berries will stay warm for up to 30 minutes. Adjust legs to what is comfortable over time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.