Restless legs

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi. i have been on avorastatin 10 mg once a day for the past 2 months and i am experiencing restless legs at night. i just want to stretch them and from sleeping like a baby, i am now awake most of the night. could that be a side effect of STATINS?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

This is definitely the type of side effect from taking statins but it's quite unusual at such a low dose as 10mg. Try taking Co-enzyme Q10 to see if that helps. Otherwise ask your doctor to swap you to another type of statin. Doctors insist that atorvastatin doesnt cause muscle aches but from mine and my husband's experience it is one of the worst. There are many other statins and nitrates out there, ask to be tried on something else.

• Posted

i saw the gp yesterday who changed my statin so i didnt take the artorvastatin last night. i slept for 9 hours. let's hope the new one is better.

• Posted

Hi Armelle,

Magnesium citrate stops restless legs if it continues.

• Posted

Magnesium definitely can help. Try soaking in a warm bath with epsom salts. It's very relaxing and helps with all sorts of aches and pains and restlessness.

• Posted

Hi armelle67759 - yes it can. i was on 80 mg of artorvastatin for 2 years and had a terrible time with muscle aches, awake all night. Four years since dumping that drug and still having shades of that issue. Hope you find relief.

• Posted

I was first put on atorvarstatin after first heart attack.. And taken off after one tablet.. Dropped my blood pressure dangerously low..and now my records say am allergic to atorvarstatin.. Since then have had 3 different statins and all have affected muscles in legs and had to come off them... Go back to doctor is my advice..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.