Restless legs - linked to heart disease?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello smile some background on me quickly. I'm 29 and developed ME (CFS) around 4 years ago. I was bed ridden for a year or so but battled through and seemed to make a recovery to the point of being able to live a relatively 'normal' life. However, around a year ago began the nightmare that is restless legs 😩

I have suffered with RLS my whole life but only very sporadically. A year ago I began to wake up most nights and now it has increased to the point of being absolutely unbearable. I manage to grab around 4/5 of unrefreshing sleep each night.

My main reason for starting this discussion is to ask everyone's opinion on the heart disease link. As most RLS sufferers I am up all night googling for answers and have come across several articles that link RLS with heart issues. This has terrified me, as I've always thought RLS must be a sign of a deeper issue.

When I wake up in the night with RLS I also feel thirsty and have a tight chest. I also get s feeling of 'rushing' almost asthouhg I have been on drugs even though I am totally exhausted and just want to sleep! This makes me anxious which doesn't help matters. Does anyone else experience this?

Has anyone with RLS been tested and found that they do have a heart condition?

Does anyone know someone with a heart condition who suffers severe restless legs?

Should I ask the doctor for a scan on my heart? What if he says no because he thinks I am being a total hypercondriact? (He has prescribed me anti-depressants and anti-anxiety in the past which I refuse to take, as I am not depressed!)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as the has completely taken me over and I'm losing hope. I'm 29 and I feel I have no quality of life. I pray to God every night that I am able to sleep through, but I never do.

I would also be very interested to hear what you all believe is the cause of RLS, if a simple iron or magnesium deficiency had been ruled out, the main theories seem to be either; inflammation (caused by toxins from poor diet / chemical products) or a neurological disorder, where the Vagus nerve malfunctions and doesn't send out the right signals to release the correct combination of chemicals (such as dopamine). Interestingly, the latter theory worryingly would back up the links with heart problems as the Vagus nerve is also responsible for sending signals to the heart and other vital organs.

One last question, has anyone else noticed a link between ME / CFS and RLS?

Thank you smile x

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Be very careful about starting on Benzo.  It is addictive and I know someone who was so adicted that he could not get to sleep without it regardless of his RLS.   He died of a heart condition that was partially blamed on the addiction.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.