Restless legs right ham strings and back pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Having suffered restless leg syndrome for nearly thirty years and reading all the posts on this forum I'm wondering if anyone else with the condition also suffers back pain radiating down over buttocks and thighs. The other thing I have is tight hamstrings and am supposed to do exercises for these. The physiotherapist said she's surprised I can still walk my hamstring muscles are so right. It's often occurred to me that the tight hamstrings exacerbate the back pain which in turn could exacerbate the restless legs. Or the tight hamstrings could be exacerbating the restless legs. Anyone else notice a connection?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That should read tight hamstrings not right.
  • Posted

Sorry Dianne I don't have any bs j or muscle pain at all. Actually my husband has tight hamstrings and exoerirncess back pain as a result but has never had restless legs. I always thought RLS was neurological but I have come to believe that there are different causes for everyone.. best of luck to you x

• Posted

Hi Dianne

RLS for 50 years and over the last few years I have had a pain similar to your description which I thought was sciatica.

I have also had tight hamstrings and I have an appointment with a physio next month to see what can be done to stop it.   I hadn't connected the hamstrings with the RLS.   When I first asked my current doctor about RLS he said that he thought it best to treat the sciatica first as this pain might be triggering the RLS.   I'll keep you informed of opinions but I dont expect the sciatica to clear up quickly and in the meantime I am looking for other methods to fix the RLS.

• Posted

Graham. Tight hamstrings have made my lower back problems always worse. I started stretching them by sitting on a crossbar, one leg at a time, 

daily, between your glute & the start of the hamstring. It eased my back pain, but the real problem was Xarelto Anti Platlet drugs I was on. I changes these for Pradaxa, and I have no further lower back pain. I had been suffering for two years with the problem. I had to roll out of bed. So look at it from that point of view.

now RLS. Suddenly came on. I exercise daily, surfing, cycling Aerobics, stretching. Without giving a thought to Iron & Magnesium. I hadn't slept well in 7 days. I was getting desperate. I was told to step up my Iron, Rubb magnesium oil on my legs, in the morning & evening, take Chela Mag tabs in morning & evening before bed, and walla, RLS has gone. I slept like a log for the first night in such a long time. 

So Stretch those Hamstrings, exercise your calves by standing on your toes, up & down, get that circulation going, do the step up of Mag & Iron, don't overdo it, stick to the dosage on the container, and realize your body is warning you that it's deficient. 

Hope this helps those suffering from RLS. It's horrible. 

Bruce

• Posted

yes dianne i am exactly the same. My legs are so bad now I'm only gtting 2 hours sleep a night. I'm desperate.

• Posted

My husband gets bad restless legs when he eats home made bread or anything with soda in it. 

• Posted

Hi Mena   Are you sure its only foods with soda in them?    This sounds pretty lucky really because he knkows exactly what foods he has to avoid.     If he gets worse or starts to be affected by other foods I suggest you read up on the Monash University FODMAP diet and the Royal Prince Alfred Low Chemical diet.

Some people get a complete "cure" by following one of these diets.   I started with the FODMAP diet and had 80% symptoms fixed and then added a bit from the low chem diet for pretty much 100% fix provoded I stick to the diet.

• Posted

Hi Dianne

I too suffer with back and lower leg pain ,I brought a cross trainer I do 5to 8 minutes every day I also walk my dogs but I have to take a stick with me for this otherwise I'm unsteady and in pain if I don't have that extra support and it means I can still walk my dogs and go a good long way I also found exercising my legs when I'm in the bath really helps as I can't swim but I do go in a swimming pool but need aids but being in water dose help.

So yes I'm with you my symptoms are similar to yours.

I'm finding out more and more so if I can be of any help or just someone to talk to or sound off at as I often need that please feel free to use me I know how hard it is to talk to people about this condition when they don't have it or know anything about it.

Take care

Sharon67835

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.