Restless legs syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.

Has anyone tried iron tablets to combat restless legs and if so did you have any success?

A doctor suggested I should try it.

Cheers

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,

I didn't try iron tablets but I'll mention that I take quinine pills on occasion when I feel like my leg cramps are going to be bad overnight and it is very effective.  Note however that it's not a good idea to take quinine every day - periodically, however, it's fine.  You would need a presciption from your doctor for it.

Best of luck,

• Posted

Hi,

I have a bottle on tonic water by my bed (mine seem to be restless at night) tonic water has quinine in it and it helps plus not taking more tablets.  If your iron is ok I wouldn't take iron tablets its dangerous to have too much iron.  Its worth trying the tonic water first.

• Posted

Thanks Helen,

I'm glad your tonic water helps.  I'm also quite surprised, given that I too tried tonic water a while ago and it didn't do anything for my cramps.  I mentioned it to my nephrologist and he said you would need to consume a substantial amount of tonic water at one time in order to get any quinine effect (like, a full 2L) so the pills were a better option for me.  However, as I say taking quinine day after day isn't a good idea so I agree your approach is a good one.  Hopefully it will make a difference for John.

• Posted

That is so interesting Helen. I'll buy some tonic water today and give it a try. My iron levels are down. I have the aranesp self injection every 3 weeks but the hb hovers round 100 mark so still pretty low. I've been taking a small dose of iron for 3 days and for the first time in ages I feel comfortable at night. I wouldn't know if it will last though. The iron does weird things to your tummy so I will try every second day alternating with tonic water.

I don't get cramps yet, something to look forward to. I just get the annoying restless less inside itch thing.

Thanks for you advice. I'll give it a go today.

Relieving symptoms is half the battle.

• Posted

Hi,

Just to clarify the tonic water I drink is for the restless leg thing not cramp, I tend to have a big drink of water when I get cramp and that helps, I only usually get cramp if my potassium is high and the water helps for that.  We are all different as you say and what works for one may not work for others.  The potassiums cramps are nasty jump out of bed ones too lol and I hop round like a fool for a bit then feel like I have a pulled muscle the next day oh the joys of CKD x

• Posted

Hi,

We are all different might work might not but worth a try.  My iron is ok at the moment have only had to have two infusions the last one last year some time, they seem to of stood me in good stead.  Have been back on the EPO for 3 months now was able to get away with that for a bit too but every 4 weeks for me.  Never mind transplant two weeks thursday so hopefully will be free of these meds and on to the anti rejection ones which I am sure will have some side effects to start with but the main thing I will have my life back can't wait wish me luck people .  I hope the tonic work John there is nothing worse that trying to get to sleep with a twtiching body (my arms go aswell) let me know how you get on x

• Posted

Go Helen

Great news. Good luck.. you'll be fine.

Now you must let us know how you are going. I had a donor but they found I got bowel cancer and transplant is now of the list cause of tge immune suppressants. I'll get there eventually.

Keep us posted please

John

• Posted

Hi John,

What rotton bad luck, how long do you have to wait.  Don't lose hope, a gentleman on another site had to wait to recover from his cancer.  He has had his transplant now off the paired scheme and he is doing well.  Your turn will come.  You have beaten cancer so the kidney side of things will be a walk in the park for you.  How very brave you are.  You must also keep me posted on your progress.  You will be back on the list before you know it. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.