Restricted throat, bad chest/swallowing problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I've been on sertraline since December

I'm interested to hear the side effects others have experienced as mine seem constant and many.

From choking to mouth drying out, have now developed a feeling of something strangling me all day. These i would like to focus on as they are causing me most problems atm.

I've also had palpitations dizziness extreme fatigue muscle weakness.

What i thought was a normal chest infection except it's lasted over 2months now. Yes 2months.

4xcourse antibiotics 1xcourse steroids and 1xclear chest x-ray

The question I'm asking is could these symptoms really be stress related? And if so how can i still be like this after 4months on tablets.

My life has become a nightmare i am 32 years old and just can't seem to get physically rid of these symptoms

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety can give you all sorts of sensations and feelings , and yes everything your going through can be stress related. If i was you I'd go back to your gp, maybe your not on the right dosage and need extra help . Your symptoms will go but you need to get help. I know how you feel it is an awful illness and takes time to recover but you will get better with the right dosage for you

• Posted

Hello thanks for the reply, i guess i never realised just how powerful the effects from stress a d anxiety can be. I have always seemed to cope well with it until recently. Perhaps i need the dosage changed as you say. Also I'm going back to work next week I'm hoping that this will help things improve

• Posted

Hi Carl, I too have had that throat choking and it is so scary to feel and to think your throat closing. My chest also felt heavy strange weighty pain, a crushing pain.  I also had all the other side effects you described here - horrible muscle stiffness, dizzy spells, vomiting, etc.

I  am so sorry you are still feeling like this and experiencing these side effects so intensely at this stage. My throat choking went away after a month or so.  I had so many diff side effects at any given time one was the worse and took my attention over the others. 

I suggest you have the throat checked and if it's alright and doc determined that it's just side effect of med, I would suggest you ask him is it normal to have this side effect at this stage. 

At a point you have to determine which is worst, the condition itself or the side effects of the med and if the side effect is worst, then unfortunately, you need to perhaps explore other options like trying another med. but please work with a doc on this. 

I have had untreated childhood ocd that blossomed to full-blown adult OCD, gad, depression, panic attacks, and I have had about 8-9 attacks, the worst one in my first or second year at the university, and I am still here at 43 years old. So please do not give up, hang in there. I know exactly how tired you are, so you are not alone. I was so tired I just prayed that a God would take me home in my sleep. And now I am happy and so, please try to stay positive. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.