restrictions,

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all, just wondering if anybody knows of any does and dont with cs, like things to avoid, foods that might help all the non technical stuff, many thanks tracey xcool

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey

Just a few pointers about neck movements/ exercises etc.  With C/S it's mostly about not passing the point of strain with the neck,  particularly with any 'looking upwards' movements,  and to a lesser extent,  looking to the rear (turning the head too far).  Any bexercises which advise such movements should be avoided.  The effects tend to only kick in a day or two after the aggravation, so it's really all about spotting the causes and connections to resulting symptoms,  so that future movements can be controlled leading, hopefully,  to less reactive symptoms.  

Some symptoms , like sore or numb hand with pins and needles, or leg problems,  can be more chronic,  and may need more invasive treatment.  Try to bear in mind the delayed reaction issue when assessing any symptom...it's worth it because a small aggravation can mean weeks of uncomfortable repercussions.  Lifting or shifting anything too heavy or awkward can also kick things off,  again after a day or two's delay.

Also,  my best method for quick easing of any neck or head symptoms is to sleep or nap on a sofa, with good pillow support, for a few days/nights.  even swapping from bed to sofa ocassionally can work.  The angle of the neck, when sleeping,  can affect the next day's symptoms beneficially.  Trial and error and you might find some differences occur....although the neck may have to go through its own uncomfortable adjustments before it settles and allows symptoms to ease.

• Posted

PS....

I'd tend to be skeptical of any dietary influences on C/S,  as it's a long way away from any food processiong organs.  At the same time,  dietary issues may be important if there is any underlying Osteoarthritis, or similar.  One thing I would say about food is ,  if you take painkiller meds regularly,  always have a small snack when taking them,  to help avoid future stomach issues.

• Posted

hi gerry, many thanks for the info i have noticed that when i move my neck, it doesnt always hurt straight away, thanks love tracey x
  • Posted

Hi Tracey,

I have CS and suffer with headaches. I also get numbness in my left arm and pins and needles. I am quite new to all this but

have found this forum really helpful. I am gradually starting to

accept my condition and its limitations but its difficult! I keep

A diary using a traffic light system - basically red for really bad, orange for middling, and green for 'lets go!' ... I have found it really good for identifying a pattern with me. I found that a couple of green days were followed by a red day or two. I realised that

over doing it when I felt OK was a trigger for me and that certain jobs at work aggrevate my CS. I am trying to follow a routine, especially at work... I make myself take regular breaks and I am finding new ways to do the jobs which cause me pain. At home, I force myself to do the ironing sitting down and have been trying to 'let things slide' a little more! .... I don't know what meds you take, but it has taken me a while to get a routine with that as well. I have had an MRI which has helped to identify my problem area and I am now waiting to see the spinal team for a fuller explanation and next steps. I hope some of the above helps. Wishing you well.

Sonia x

• Posted

hi sonia thanks for replying, at the moment im only taking codydramol, with thankfully work for me at the moment, i had a little bit of a problem with tablets a while back, i was taking too many, if you get what i mean, im now been doing ok with that for 8months, and i think thats why im only now noticing the symptoms, if you suffer from headaches could i suggest you try a tens machine, it works on my headache brilliantly, pm me if you need more info on them, but they worth a try, take care love tracey x
  • Posted

To all. I have had problems from severe stenosis and herniation in cervical spine for decades.  Future surgery, booo. Wish to share to all that a RN friend of mine lent me a saunders cervical traction unit 2 months ago and most of arm and shoulder numbness and pain is absent now.  I use it daily with alternationg heat pad to very attropied shoulder and am doing sooo much better.  Still will have surgery but this is better than chemical pain relievers any time.  I found my own on E bay.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.