Results Confusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Confusion about my results

So about a year ago I got what i assumed to be an outbreak of hsv2, so i took a type specific blood test and received 3.35 for hsv1 and 1.68 for hsv2. my doctor prescribed valtrex which i still take on occasion, but i've never had a second outbreak. since then, i've had two other hsv2 blood tests resulting in 1.68 and 1.74. the 1.68 result was accompanied by a negative supplemental test, and when i got the 1.74, i asked for a supplemental test but they didn't give it to me. I'm planning to go to quest to see if they'll give me a supplemental/confirmatory test there.

in your opinion, should i have just moved on after the negative supplemental test? is it likely i just had a genital infection of hsv1? i was unable to get swabbed because the sores healed very fast and because i haven't had any others. my main concern is whether or not i need to continue disclosing hsv2 (i disclosed to my partners at the time i thought i had it, and kept them updated about the fact it's not conclusive at this point).

thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

If you had an outbreak on your genitals, you have genital herpes.

• Posted

my first outbreak was on my genitals but when i got tested it was negative for type 2 and positive for type 1.

i know type 1 can appear on the mouth and the genital area. type 2 doesnt cross over to the mouth from my understanding

• Edited

HSV-1 is mainly transmitted via contact with the virus in sores, saliva or surfaces in or around the mouth. Less commonly, HSV-1 can be transmitted to the genital area through oral-genital contact to cause genital herpes.

Type 1 herpes simplex virus is the usual cause of cold sores around the mouth. It also causes around half of cases of genital herpes.

Type 2 herpes simplex virus usually only causes genital herpes. It can sometimes cause cold sores.

If you've had an outbreak on your mouth and genitals, it's possible to spread the disease by mouth and genitals. I don't think it matters which test is positive.

• Edited

im pretty sure type 2 can never cross over to the mouth region. least what the doctors explained.

apparently type 1 has been super common even for it appearing in the genital area because oral sex has been gaining a lot of popularity. this is literally just what the doctors ive seen explained.

i do feel like having type 1 gives people more peace ((???)) and future genital outbreaks with herpes type 1 is significantly more mild than outbreaks with type 2

• Edited

No, that was a fact, both can cross over.

I get what you're saying but I would want my partner to disclose their diagnosis before having intercourse or contact that would lead to catching any incurable disease. Some people make excuses and go without testing just spreading diseases, or sweeping their diagnosis under the rug like it's not incurable and contagious. It's up to you if you want to disclose your diagnosis. You'd be less likely to catch another incurable disease if you do. Makes a perfect opportunity for you to both be tested and cleared before intercourse.

• Posted

Concur w/ Jane's comments. Type 1 can be either oral or genital, same w/ Type 2. Having said that, you are far better off having Type 1 genital or Type 2 oral. I have Type 1 genital.

Type 1 is most predominately oral, where it can result in uncomfortable and frequent outbreaks. Type 2 is predominately genital, where it can be really uncomfortable and result in frequent outbreaks. In most cases, those who contract Type 1 genital have a much more mild outbreak and most have very few follow-on outbreaks, if any at all. And because these OB's are so infrequent, your risk of transmission drops (though is not eliminated).

In the 5+ years I've had it, I've had my initial outbreak, and POSSIBLY two follow-ons. I say "possibly" because both times were post-shaving and could have simply been ingrown hairs. Despite my feeling really depressed upon learning I had it in the beginning, I no longer think about it, as it has had zero impact on my life.

The same can be said of Type 2 oral. Those who have it may experience it with an initial outbreak only to find seldom outbreaks, if any at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.