Results from Green Light Laser surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

Thanks to all for sharing your stories about GL laser surgery.  It was a big help for me, so I thought I'd return the favour following the GL surgery I had 4 weeks ago.  Here's a summary of the situation / results:

Symptoms prior to surgery: Very slow stream, PVR approximately 200 CC, up a couple times a night to urinate.  Was on Flomax for past year, but it was gradually losing effect - eventually had to double up on the dose to get desired effect.  Had retrograde ejac while on floxmax, and lots of lightheaded occurrences.  Time for surgery!

Surgery lasted 75 - 90 mins under general anesth. Lots of pain upon awakening from surgery.  Given pain reliever and all was pretty much pain free within a couple hours.  Had lots of bleeding, so doctor decided to admit me for an overnight stay in hospital. Catheter remained in overnight and was removed in the morning at hospital.  First attempt at urinating was a shocker - very strong flow!!  Some pain, but nothing major, and lots of blood.  Urinated a couple more times in the next hour, then released from hospital.

Week 1.  Minor pain at tip of penis when initiating urination, but nothing major.  Very good flow, very little blood by the third day, and no pain to speak of.  Up a couple times a night, basically no change from pre-surgery.  Went on 30 - 45 minute brisk walks starting on Day 2, no pain, minor increase in blood after walks. No incontinence and no major sense of urgency that wasn't controllable.  Generally urinating every 1 - 2 hours.

Week 2.  Similar to week 1, but had increased bleeding/expelled clots (quite a bit actually) during the week, which I think was caused by too much walking.  Otherwise no major problem.  No sex yet.....   No notable pain, no bladder spasms.

Week 3.  Good week, blood appeared  sporadically, but nothing major.  No pain, spasms, incontinence, or major sense of urgency. Started light weight workouts at gym. Urinating about every 2 hours unless I was drinking a lot, which increased frequency to every hour or so.  Up once or twice a night, depending how much I drank before bed.  SEX at the end of week 3!!  All good!  Strong erection, no pain, and best of all, NO RETROGRADE EJAC!!  I asked the doctor to do what he could to prevent retrograde.  He gave no promises, but said he would try to avoid the bladder neck area as much as possible, which might reduce risk of retrograde.  It worked!!

Week 4.  All good.  No pain, or any other issues, strong flow, normal frequency. Occasional occurrences of light blood immediately after starting urination, but quickly disappears and is not present for the remaining void.  Back to normal workouts at gym.

All in all I couldn't have asked for better results.  Feel much better not having to take flomax any more!  And I certainly don't miss the retrograde ejac caused by flomax!

Just wanted to share my story folks to help those that may have concerns / hesitation to undergo laser surgery.  Of course we will all have different experiences / results with surgery, but hopefully my story will be reassuring that the results can be quite favourable.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Are you doing any of the recovery exercises The bladder muscles?
    • Posted

No I didn't do any recovery exercises.  The literature I was given seemed to suggest that the recovery exercises were more applicable to TURP, and less of a requirement for GL.  Not sure if that's a correct interpretation, but I had no need for the exercises.

• Posted

That's great news, John!

Did you have an enlarged median lobe?

• Posted

Thanks Arlington.  The doc never provided many specifics about the prostate - only general statements such as 'your prostate is on the larger side', and after the surgery he informed me that the prostate was 'wide' and 'stubby'.....suggesting that the overgrowth created a wider prostate and not much growth on a north/south axis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.