Results seem normal? I'm miserable

Posted , 4 users are following.

Extreme fatigue (I can sleep for 24 hours if you let me, have trouble sleeping at night but can sleep fine during the day no matter how I try to fix it) mood swings, always really hot, my whole body hurts especially my lower back, my hands turn like red and hot and feels like my fingertips were all crushed, other times I can literally just put a piece of hair behind my daughters ear and my finger will feel horribly painful and bruise, very dry skin..my head looks like a snow globe and itches so bad but the doctors have tried all kinds of shampoos and meds to no avail, I feel like I have stuff crawling on me or under my skin and there's nothing Oh and I haven't had a period in like 6 months, no sex drive, dry and all that lovely stuff

TSH 2.930 (.450-4.5)

THYROXINE 6.7 (5.5-11)

Free T4 .81 (.45-1.63)

Free T3 2.7 (2-3.5)

Total T3 155 (71-189)

Haven't gotten my antibody tests back yet

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have hypothyroidisim. Dry skin is a big problem. I use lots of oil, take slightly warm showers to help, use dove body wash for sensetive skin. Vitamin e oil can be better than lotion. Use moisturising shampoo, check out neutragena products for help. They have great lotion for mosture. The vitamin e I use after my showers. The way I first got diagnosed, I was sleeping 20hrs. Out of 24. A regular m.d. messed me up. Check around your community for others with thyroid problems, may help in finding right dr. What age are you. This might be menopause depending. Low sex drive was a problem I found help in hormone pelets. The pain can be many things. If your reg dr. has not addressed these problems time to change possibly. The normal range of test you can ask another professional, including a discussion of why do I still have thyroid symptoms. All these things can be hard to conquer following many phycicians. Shame you have to go through many to find right one. Don't give up. All this is my own experiences. I hope you get answers soon.

• Posted

I'm only 27 sad

• Posted

The symptoms you have are mostly hypothyroid.

Your TSH indicates hypothyroidism. I feel horrible when my TSH is anywhere close to 2 or above. Also, I feel like crap unless all my thyroid blood tests are on the high end if normal, or slightly above- not unusual for thyroid patients.

Remember, blood tests only show what's in your blood, they tell very little about how things are working. We only know by your T3 numbers that there is conversion happening.

However, the extreme pain is more likely a side effect of the medication.

The hormonal problems can be caused by hypothyroidism. If you were experiencing excessive periods or too close together prior to not having, this  is another indication that low thyroid is causing the other hormonal problems. I only realized this because I had a bout with low thyroid when I Was 26 years old, that caused funky hormone stuff. Back then, as now, the only blood indicators were TSH at 2.5, and high cholesterol (very unusual for me). In my twenties, I didn't know this was hypothyroidism, and the symptoms went away with birth control pills and a variety of homeopathy, herbs, etc. However, after 6 years, I developed quite a large cyst on my thyroid.

When the irregular periods recurred in my forties, I knew it was not menopause because it had also occurred two decades ago. However, I had my hormones tested anyway and was told I was approaching menopause by my gyno.

In the meanwhile, I was working with my Endo  on the thyroid problem, because even though blood work all appeared normal, I had a compound cyst on my thyroid, which by definition indicated hypothyroidism.

Once I got the hypothyroid symptoms under control, I was able to reset the hormones using acupuncture and herbs recommended by a self help hormone book. For me the low thyroid caused low progesterone, so I took vitex and bladderwrack for a few months and have continued with acupuncture to reset the system. If you do nothing to treat your hormonal system, it will rake years to reset itself, if ever!!

Your hormone situation sounds a lot worse than mine was, and the older we are, the more difficult it becomes got our system to bounce back. Even in my twenties it took years to get the system back on track by forcing it with birth control pills. Since the birth controls only regulate, they don't really fix things. So it was about five years until I was able to go off the birth control pills. Of course, it was also around that time that I noticed the large partially calcified cyst on my thyroid.

Hoping my experience will give you some sort of guidance and help.

Good luck!

• Posted

Just got these back as well

Thyroid prox ab: 17 (0-34)

Thyroglobulin <1 (0-.9)

• Posted

I'm not on any medication. We are still trying to figure out what's wrong with me. These are my first set of bloodwork and i know they're In the "normal" range but figured maybe I was missing something

• Posted

Ok. Good to know.

i haven't had these specific two tests. However, one problem with antibody tests is they rely on the condition of the immune system, so they are often unreliable. If your immune system is already overtaxed by something else, you may not show a significant thyroid antibody, even though your body would normally be reacting. There are a million reasons antibody tests are inaccurate.

As for TSH, if you've had an ongoing hypothyroid condition, the pituitary gives up trying to signal, and TSH levels often do not show as elevated.

If you aren't on any medication, and you have horrible pain, this can indicate autoimmune disease. So it's likely the reason they can't diagnose is you're dealing with more than one condition. 

Often times the only way to get a firm thyroid diagnosis is to do an ultrasound to check for abnormal growth. Abnormal thyroid growths generally occure with hypothyroidism, so even if your blood work is normal, an ultrasound can clue you in to what's going on.

You have so much going on, that while you're troubleshooting with the medical doc, I'd look into holistic treatments, naturopathy, acupuncture. 

• Posted

Pls try checking your VITAMIN B12  levels. Often, we look at only one side of the coin. Your Thyroid range seems normal. It has to be Vitamin B12 or Vitamin D deficiency. Otherwise, it could be folate levels or iron levels. If your body is suggesting that things are not normal, they are not. Go get yourself tested. There's no point in being wise without proper diagnosis. Pls take this advice as I have gone through the same experience. Don't worry, you will be okay. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.