Final Diagnosis

A. Small Bowel, biopsy:

DUODENAL MUCOSA WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT DIAGNOSTIC ABNORMALITY

NO VILLOUS DISTORTION OR INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTOSIS SEEN

B. Stomach, antrum/body biopsy:

ANTRAL AND CORPUS TYPE GASTRIC MUCOSA WITH MILD CHRONIC INFLAMMATION

AN IMMUNOHISTOCHEMICAL STAIN FOR H. PYLORI IS NEGATIVE

C. Esophagus, upper biopsy:

SQUAMOUS MUCOSA WITH FOCAL HETEROTOPIC GASTRIC MUCOSA (INLET PATCH)

Clinical Information

Abdominal pain; Change in bowel habits 

A. Celiac 

B. H. Pylori 

C. Gastric inlet patch

Gross Description

A.  Received in formalin, labeled "Small Bowel A" , are  six soft tan 0.1 to 0.4 cm biopsies. ESS

B.  Received in formalin, labeled "Antrum/Body B" , are  five soft tan 0.2 to 0.3 cm biopsies. ESS

C.  Received in formalin, labeled "Upper Esophagus" , are  three soft tan 0.2 and 0.4 cm biopsies. ESS

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Le's try.

I'm guessing the "Clinical Information" is the request to the histopathologist providing reason for biopsy analyses.

A. Small bowel biopsy seems normal. They don't appear to show abnormalities of celiac disease.

B. The stomach seems relatively normal. Some slight inflammation but no H-pylori found.

C. Evidence of Inlet Patch (but I guess you may already have known that since it was indicated in the clinical information. Inlet Patch is an area in the upper oesophagus where the normal (squalous) cells are re;placed by gastrin (stomach) cells. It i sbelieved to be genetic in origin.

• Posted

Nothing wrong with the small bowel, I would look up the other stuff on google. Looks like you may have something going on in your stomach like gastritis. Also seems like you have GERD or acid reflux. Probably need to take a proton pump inhibitor like Protonix. I wouldn't worry to much as these reports are usually followed by an explanation from your doctor. You probably need a PPI before you develope Barrets esophagus.

• Posted

Pretty much what Craig has said. They tested you, and didn't really find anything, apart from maybe gastritis and/or acid reflux/GORD. A PPI - sounds fancy, but is just a tablet, will probably be prescribed, such as omeprazole.

• Posted

For some reason my response is awaiting moderation.

I provided a fuller answer before but here's a summary:

A :no celiac

B: No H-pylori but some mild inflammation

C; Inlet patch (which you probably already know) /

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.