Resum Prostate Procedure

Posted , 8 users are following.

The pain for this procedure is nearly unbearable. I would not recommend this procedure.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you when I googled it I noticed they use steam to destroy prostate tissue but it seems unavoidable that damage will occur to the urethra
  • Posted

Sounds like you had post procedure bladder spasms caused by the Foley catheter ? If that's the case you would have had pain from most of the procedures. Were you cathetered for a long period of time ? Do you have retrograde ejaculation ? Hope you're feeling better now too. J

• Posted

Hi John, can you elaborate on why its was so bad. I am currently researching and considerring the Rezum procedure. Most importantly, did it work. The pain you describe might be worth it if the procedure actually works. My understanding is that it keeps sexual function intact and does not cause incontinance. those are huge advantages over all other invasive procedures. thanks for giving all of us your experience, whether bad or good.  mike
    • Posted

Its torture when they do it - best to be sedated, or at least twilighted during the procedure. The pain afterword isn't bad at all for most. The recovery is long - no benefits for a minimum of 30 days and most of the results come weeks 6-12. Don't agree to a Foley after the procedure, find a doc who will let you self cath - as for some (like me for instance) I couldn't pee much for close to 4 weeks after.

If performed properly, there should be no damage to the Urethra and sexual function should be fine after. They claim that dry ejaculations happen 3% of the time - the real number is probably something like 10%. For many, an unexpected benefit is improved sexual function - better erections, faster recovery or both.

If your problem is due mostly or completely to prostate size, chances are you'll get good results from Rezum, albeit after a generally sucky first month. Many docs seem to perform this and other prostate surgeries without a real diagnosis - often the bladder is some or most of the problem and Rezum won't help that at all. Best to have a urodynamics work up before getting any procedure to make sure that what they want to do will probably help.

• Posted

Mike have you researched Pae. I am approaching the sixty day mark.  Its working pretty good so far.
    • Posted

Hi ktmxc. I've had 2 PAE's in the last year. My PSA did go from 5.5 to 2.2, so I know they did some damage to the prostate. Clinically however, they did not help me. I'm now in the process of getting a urodynamic test on the 27th, per some advice from this forum. From there I will proceed. If its the bladder, then I'll deal with that. If its still the enlarged prostate, I will proceed to look at other procedures.

FLA seems like the least invasive, but it's not covered and i'm not at medicare yet.  thanks for the advice though!  Mike

• Posted

Thank you for posting this. 

I hope it heals fast and works great for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.