Retention

Posted , 11 users are following.

One diuretic pill a day will keep retention away.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Lester, Do you mean urine retention? Please explain.

Thanks. Carl

• Posted

Hello Lester, is this  diuretic prescribed by your urologist or your family doctor? It also lowers your blood pressure. Was this disclosed to you?

thanks

• Posted

Any diuretic pill?
    • Posted

Available by Rx diuretic pills can lower blood pressure, cure urine retention, and reduce swollen feet. I hope this answers all questions. If still in doubt, consult your physician.
  • Posted

Lester,

I think it more accurate to say that "one diuretic pill a day will keep YOUR retention away", if that's the case. I've taken diuretics, as have others here and it is NOT a universal cure for retention. Sometimes it helps a little, sometimes it helps nocturia, and sometimes it makes it worse. Just like coffee and alcohol, which are also diuretics.

Jim

• Posted

The key word in my reply is that it CAN. It works for me in all 3 instances.
    • Posted

Would have to agree.  Diuretics decrease blood pressure by increasing urination.  That said, if there is some sort of bladder neck obstruction, then to my thinking all the diuretics in the world will be ineffective unless they can somehow relax the stromal and connective that - in part - make up the anatomy of the prostate and bladder neck.  Alpha blockers can certainly do it, but I'm just not aware of any alpha blocker that also doubles as a diuretic. 

• Posted

Correct, like trying to force too much water through a thin straw. There is the possibility of harm (back pressure) and it also could increase frequency since the bladder will keep wanting to empty without the strength to fully empty. But again, a very individual thing depending both on the type and amount of diuretic, the amount of obstruction, and the individuals unique response to the combination. I have taken both alcohol and caffeine at times and other times neither. Sometimes I felt the helped, sometimes I felt they irritated. Which is another factor. Diuretics could iinitally help with flow but if the prostate becomes irritated and inflamed, the gains could be erased. Lots of variables with no one answer.

Jim

• Posted

Diuretics require a prescription. No credible physician would prescribe it to a patient if he or she did not know the patient's condition.

• Posted

You mean rx diuretics. Caffeine and alcohol are also diuretics. You also give physician's a little too much credit. If they did their job 100% there would be no need for a forum like this. Wrong rx's are written every day. Hospitals make mistakes every day. Doctors misdiagnose every day.

Jim

• Posted

Your reply does not give patients much hope. What is your alternative to seeing a doctor?
    • Posted

Haha. No, of course we have to see a doctor at times. That said, we should always be doing due diligence during every step of the way by doing our own research, getting second opinions when necessary, and joining forums like these.

Jim

• Posted

When I was prescribed a diuretic for my hypertension I got pain in the pelvic area and my urine output greatly decreased.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.