Retinal Hemorrages - What to do (Help)

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone,

first post here, sorry in advance if my English won't be perfect.

Four months ago I started seeing strange spots, spider webs and small scotomas (gray dots in which vision simply did not work) and I went to an ophthalmologist right away. He did an OCT and concluded that I have "retinal thrombosis" with several bleedings. The likely cause is hypertension (I had 148/105). I treated it immediately and now I'd say (at least that) is under control.

The follow-up visit (1 month later) showed a slight improvement in the hemorrhages, all of which are still there but are a bit more "fuzzy" than on the first visit. So we agreed to see each other after 2 months. Up to that point, other than some slightly blurry writing and a bit of a struggle to read, I'd say the symptoms were manageable.

The problem is that since that day the situation has worsened enormously. I don't know if it's a normal thing, but now the scotoma is huge (six square radius on the amsler grid), central, sensitive to light (much more annoying in the daytime than in the evening, especially when I'm out of the house) and it's making it very difficult for me to work and do everyday things, besides worrying me a lot.

I've decided that I'm not going to wait the two months and come back for another visit, but I wanted to hear from someone who has gone through the same experience as me: is there any chance of getting back to seeing or does the scotoma mean that by now the retina is burnt out and there's nothing to be done? Help 😃

Thanks

Ema

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.