Retinal Migraine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been having these strange vision problems since 2016. Doctors have checked my brain and my eyes but hasn't found anything. It started with the typical retinal migraine symptoms with zigzag flashing lines. but the last year, vision just becomes brighter and unfocused. It only last a couple of minutes and it comes without a warning. It's only my left eye thats affected. It usually happens monthly. Does anyone recognize this? I've tried to make an image in photoshop of what it looks like. Sometimes the lights shimmer.image

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tommy, I do recognise your symptoms, and that picture you have posted, I get the same vision problems with my Aura/Hemiplegic Migraines. My aura's last approx 1 hour, although takes a week or so to recover from my migraines so can have sensitivity to light. I also get sporadic flashes at corner of my left eye, have had that for a couple of years now.

• Posted

1 hour? How do you manage? Mine just stays for a couple of minutes and i get no following pain. I never get used to it though. I get worried every time it happens.

• Posted

Hi Tommy, sometimes the aura's can last longer especially numbness. I used to be very scared, and have been in hospital alot with tests. All ok.

• Posted

Mine used to last for days on end. Utterly miserable. But 8 had a migraine syndrome associated with an auto immune disorder and had awful neck pain too. So glad to be in remission from that now. But yes it is very disturbing to experience.

• Posted

One strange thing is that it doesn't help to close my eye. i can still "see" the light. It's like someone points a flashlight on the eyelid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.