Retinal Migraines??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

A quick history of myself: I have always suffered from migraines with aura since I was about 14/15.  This comes in the form of a gradual visual disturbance that disappears after 30 minutes and then head pain, nausea, etc.  It is very familiar to me now and comes a few times a year.

However, last Tuesday I had an episode which someone suggested could be migraine, but its nothing like anything I ever experienced.  Basically I was sat at work and suddenly the vision in my left eye became disturbed, as if I had been staring at lights for too long.  It took up a lot of my visual field.  I thought I was passing out at first (similar kind of visual symptom) but I managed to get up and go for a glass of water whilst this visual event was happening.  It lasted 2 minutes.  I've been told this can be an 'ocular' migraine, but I thought thats what my normal migraines are..  I was very worried that something bad might be happening, but have tried to tell myself it was probably a migraine.  I'm just looking for someone with similar experience.  It was not like scintillating scotoma.  I've had migraine-like headaches since and typical migraine feeling that I get (feeling spacey, tired, etc)

Thanks,

Em

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh - I did go to the GP and my optician and both checked my eyes and saw nothing unusual there.  The GP was a little bit stumped as I didn't have any numbness etc.  So she suggested an atypical migraine
  • Posted

It is common, sometimes there is pain. Sometimes no pain-it is scary but really it is migraine. I had 3 episodes of this aroun 10 years ago then nothing until 2 years ago and now my migraines affect hearing as well as motion, they seem to change gradually. I have one currently which has been slowly building up for about 8 days now. Wish it would just go awY, nauseous and not thinking straight. Confused.
    • Posted

Yes the memory issues are getting worse for me too, also I get a lot of tinnitis with them as well as vertigo with migraine before I get my period.  Hope you can get some relief x
    • Posted

Thanks Emma , just testing up. This forum does keep me going when it gets bad. Dreading starting Topirimate as feel suicidal when migraine is bad (they go on for weeks at a time) and this drug has a suicudal side effects. Might be successful though and then peace.
    • Posted

Is the doctor aware of your suicidal feelings?  Well I only just started here but I will stick around.  Make a post if you're ever feeling rubbish. Keep us updated
    • Posted

Worried I might do something silly if I was taking Topirimate as I get so down when the migraines are building up. I never get a "banger" out of the blue so my migraines can last around 8 weeks. So far this yeR I have only had 6 clear days. I try to keep cheerful but it is difficult at times. I really feel this forum is keeping a lot of people going. Perhaps the doctors should watch what is being said and try to take sufferers more seriously. I can see I will have to give it a go before he refers me back to the neurologist and he was a waste of time. 6 minutes to tell me it was migraine and he would write to my gp!!
  • Posted

Hi Emma 

like you I have had the same classic aura/headache/sickness migraines from the age of 15. In my thirties though I have experienced the odd one eyed 20 minute blind spot in my central vision that slowly disappears. The first time it happened I panicked as it was so different from the norm but migraine can change and it was in fact an occular migraine and I have had about 4 in the last six years as well as my normal aura kind. If you are concerned always see your GP but sounds very familiar to me.

• Posted

Hi Emma

Sorry to hear you are feeling so terrible.  

I often get pain behind my right eye at the start of a migraine.  The eye pain gets progressively worse as the migraine gets worse until all I can do is shut my eyes and lie in bed.  The migraines can also affect my speech but I don't get flashing lights.  I have vertigo with the migraine (migrainous vertigo) as well as tinnitus and I understand the feelings you describe.  

I feel your pain! When you are in the middle of a migraine it feels like it will never stop.  As far as I'm concerned head pain is the worst type of pain - labour pain doesn't come near!

I hope today is a better day for you.  Take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.