Retinal tear ceiling fan effect

Posted , 10 users are following.

Can someone please help. I had a retinal tear last month and 2 weeks had it repaired. Now I have a ceiling like effect in the side of my vision. It happens all day long. The dr said it's going to stay and that I should be worried about a curtain or more floaters. Any advice??? Please 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kristy I've never heard of that before! I have had many retinal tears and have lots of floaters due to them but my vision is otherwise fine. What does your doctor say is going on with your eye? I would get a second opinion!!

• Posted

I just don't even know. It started with a tiny tear, had the laser done and now 2 weeks later a ceiling fan spinning in the corner of the eye I had this done on. My dr does not seem concerned he just said the flashes can happen and I said it's not flashes. He said he was only concerned if I had a black curtain go over my eye or more floaters. I'm only 33 and I have children to take care of. Never had any eye issue in my life. I'm just so upset.

• Posted

I'm so sorry. You're so young for this, too! Is this doctor an actual retinologist, the one who did the repair? 

• Posted

Yes he is. He just told me I would have flashes still after the laser but not what I'm having now. I just don't know what to do at this point 

• Posted

I was thinking the same thing. It's almost like I wish he never repaired the tear

• Posted

What do you mean by ceiling fan effect? I had laser for a retinal hole almost 3 weeks ago and I have a black blind spot (4 black dots) but I don't see them all of the time. Mostly when going to a dark room from light or vice versa. I also have static look on the periphery of my vision on the entire right half of my left eye toward my nose. I see flickers and some black Blinky spots throughout my eye at random. What makes yourwiling effect worse? I am 34 with 2 small kids and also never had any issues so I feel where you are coming from.

• Posted

I don't have any black spots just the moving in the side of my vision. It's like a spinning out of the corner of my eye. I had a retina repair done about 3 weeks ago. I just don't know what to do right now. It seems that it is worse after the laser. 

• Posted

The same thing happened to me after receiving laser for a retinal tear. It’s been over a year now and it’s better but still not gone 
    • Posted

I went to a surgeon on the West coast for a 4th opinion. He told me the shimmering light may be permanent and the only way to get rid of it is to laser the entire retina to even out its visual field 360 degrees. 
    • Posted

That sounds scary. Could that cause shimmering around the whole periphery of the eye?
    • Posted

From my understanding, it would stretch your eye so the entire eye is even and it's all out of your visual field. 

If you go on tapatalk, you'll see every person who has claimed to have shimmering by stahlmans 360 layering of the retina it all had completely gone away. 

Those who have it that I've been in contact with have only had certain portions of the retina lasered. 

• Posted

I'm sorry, I meant to say lasering of the retina. And those who only had a portion of it lasered still report shimmering years later. 

• Posted

I did retinal detachment operation 8 weeks ago and I do experience this ceiling fan movement on the corner of my eye . How long this fan movement will stay ?  
    • Posted

Hi Jes2000

might you have an update on how your doing/coping?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.