Retro

Posted , 9 users are following.

D0es the retro bother anyone in their Fifties who have had this done? ( TURP )

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Steven, have you considered the Urolift, or have considered and are not "candidate material?"
  • Posted

Steven,

i had had retro from the BPH medicines, mainly Finesteride & Avodart for a number of years. I hated it. To me it took away a lot of the pleasure of orgasm. I had a PAE April 1st 2014 and quit taking BPH medicines. I am happy to say that not only do I not have any BPH symptoms, but my sex life returned to normal. I will turn 70 this year.

• Posted

To add to the list of medications that cause retro, rapaflo was as bad as avodart.  If you have not already had TURP, don't do it.  Get PAE!
    • Posted

I agree re Rapaflo; however, it has been the most effective for me w/ the least side effects.  I've recently discovered that if i have sex just before taking the daily dose (ie 23 hours or so after the previous dose) that the ejaculation is not retrograde.  
    • Posted

I agree with Ramblin. if you haven't already hadTurp don't do it. Retro might be the least of your worries....you could end up impotent. 

Im 9 months out from my PAE and pee like a horse, no impotence, no incontinence, no retro and I have improved sexual function. 

Dont ng ask a urologist about PAE because most of them will bag it cos they are worried about PAE decimating their incomes. 

See an Interventional Radiologist. 

• Posted

I have no experience in either of your questions (I chose Urolift instead of PAE) but you can do an on-line search for "PAE prostate surgery" and you'll find clear explanations.  Here's somethinf from Wiki for your other question:  "Interventional radiology (IR), also known as vascular andinterventional radiology (VIR) or surgical radiology, is an independent medical specialty (previously a sub-specialty of radiology) providing minimally invasive image-guided diagnosis and treatment of diseases in every organ system."
    • Posted

Hi Steven, a PAE is a Prostate Artery Embolisation. It is carried out by an Interventional Radiologist. Urologists are not qualified or trained to do this procedure. I had one 9 months ago and all my BPH problems were fixed. I used to get up 6 times a night, now only once. Strong flow, no impotence or incontinence. 

There is a stack of stuff on this site on PAE. 

Basically tney go in through an artery in your groin and feed a very long very thin tube (catheter) into the arteries that feed your prostate with blood. They inject tiny pellets into these arteries to partially block them. This reduces the blood supply to your prostate and makes it shrink. Mine went from 120cc to 85cc. 

Very safe procedure with no side effects. The urologists won't tell you about it. They'd rather you go through the butchery of TURP to protect their wallets. 

Check it out...there's a ton of stuff here with many, many guys telling of their PAE experiences.

Cheers

• Posted

Steven,

I am 62, just had a TURP done in October 2015. Won't bore you with the details, but the best decision I could have made. My urologist warned me about the retro, but at that time I was having intense burning at ejaculation. Doc said that would go away, it did. Some guys say that they do not feel the same sensation, I can honestly tell you that my burning is gone, and the sensation is identicle to what it was years ago. No regrets from me.

• Posted

What I can't understand is why anyone would choose TURP over PAE. 

Turp has a significant chance of impotence and or incontinence while PAE has none. TURP is 100% retro whole PAE has no retro. 

TURP has cutting and several days recovery while PAE has no cutting and just a day procedure or maybe an overnight. 

And just as a sweetener, 30% of PAE patients report improved sexual function and I was lucky enough to be in that group. 

Cheers

• Posted

It still bothers me, Tim. I wish I could get over this feeling. Steve  
    • Posted

Good post Tim. I am glad you are someone who is happy with TURP outcome. It is real encouragement for me. I am 51 and scheduled for TURP in a week from today June 1. I have very small prostate 40 cc but it is growing wrong way badly indenting my bladder and median lobe protruding into the bladder. I had 2 second opinions and both young and middle aged urologist advices the same thing, TURP if I really want to fix it for good. I inquired about Uro lift and Rezum and both agreed that I am not good candidate for neither procedure. I run into AUR at beginning of April so I do Catheterization mostly twice a day using speedicaths and I am totally okay with them. I am also on Tamsulosin twice a day which makes me lightheaded and extremely tired  waking up with blood pressure bellow 100 systolic. Not to mention that I have 50% of time RE.

With TURP I hope I will be able to stop taking Tamsulosin and doing self CIC. I have some fears of incontinence but according to stats chance is about 1-2% and more associated with older age. 

If Gods will is for me to be one of it, I am accepting it.

• Posted

Like I mentioned, mine went as smooth as silk. The fact that 2 docs had the same opinion (as long as they're not partners) I think is a good sign. I had no problem with incontinence except for the first couple of weeks post surgery, which is normal. It will go away. Once it's over, you'll be glad  and wonder why you hadn't done so sooner (at least I did). I never had to do the catheterization route, but it always felt as if my bladder never fully emptied. I now take no medications at all after the TURP. I'll have a good thought for you, I'm sure it will be fine. Let us know once the dust settles. Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.