Retro-grade ejaculation after P.A.E.

Posted , 7 users are following.

When I was placed on Finesteride and Tamsulosin by my urologists some 3 years ago, one of the side effects was retrograde ejaculation.

In June of this year I had a P.A.E. and all the urinary stuff has been sucessful. Unfortunately, after 3 months I'm still in retro. Saw my Urologists two weeks and he says it's because of the Tamsulosin. A few weeks after the P.A.E. I came off both Finesteride and Tamsulosin. My Urologists says, 'give it time and normal ejaculation will return'. Just wondering if anyone here thinks otherwise, or has any other thoughts.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had a Urolift in Decmber, and stopped taking those two drugs in Early January.  In the next couple of months, my mood improved, my energy levels increased, my sex drive came back and yes, that pesky ejaculation problem ended.  I would say it was probably three months until thigns were back to normal (I'm 67).  THose two drugs are supposed to be "beneficial," but I hated the side-effects more than enjyed any benefits.  Others may have more positive things to say about them; I don't!  :-P  

• Posted

Thank yo so much for your reply. You and I feel exactly the same. I found no trade off with either drug. Thanks for the hope!
  • Posted

Wait I never heard of retrograde ejaculation with Flomax and Proscar. Did they ever do a laser or microwave on your prostate. Does it mention retrograde ejaculation when you look at the side effects of Flomax and Proscar and the drug information on google or what read after the prescription is dispensed from the pharmacy.
    • Posted

Never had laser or microwave done. Urologists wanted to do the Supra-ptostalectomy (non-radical- but when I heard 6 to 8 days in hospital on a catether, I said no way and looked else where. UNC had a programe for P.A.E. but ran out of grant money. That's when I found Hackensack Medical Center. Anyway Mark, I'm finding out that retro-grade ejaculation is a very COMMON side effect of Tamsulosin. The doctors simply don't mention it when they prescribe it. You find out later.!!!

• Posted

Wait I looked it up , you are right there is retrograde ejaculation. Funny so many men are on these 2 drugs I have never heard them mention this side effect. My doctor did not want to prescribe Flomax or Proscar for me , I have chronic BPH, he just told me I do not want to put you on this.
    • Posted

I would love to read a truly independent study on the effectiveness of those two drugs.  I have my doubts (They did little for me, and then the benefit petered out, as it were...)...  In fact the "natural" treatments might work as well, without the side effects.  E.G., a friend had prostate cancer, doc wanted to pull it.  He said NFW, went on raw food diet and five years later, no cancer and he's fine.  Doc was amazed...

• Posted

Thank you Mark cause it is a fact. Had I known the side effects it's doubtful I would have succumed to my urologists insistence to take both drugs together; like they work in tandem or something. They are horrible drugs and did nothing, nothing to shrink; which registered 200 at the time of my P.A.E. at Hackensack Medical.

• Posted

Curious, after the PAE what is the weight of your prostate and do you have diminished symptoms and increased urine flow.  Also does the PAE effect a persons testosterone level. Did you have it taken before and after.  When I was in my early 50's I had alot of hair on my legs, now I am 65 and it is gone; I am just wondering why it disappeared. My legs are bare.

• Posted

Not only is my prostate always swollen, but I have urinary retention, and my ability to get an erection has stopped. Never get it. I was ok maybe 2 years ago and suddenly nothing. I asked the urologist how an erection or why the ability to achieve an erection would stop cold and he could not give me answer. He just wanted to hollow out my prostate with a laser but I would not let him. Another older urologist wanted to microwave my prostate out. But you know my symptoms are strong, always 300ml or more residual urine. and I wake up 2-3 times nightly. Strangly enough my urine flow seems to be better when I eat raw garlic, red onions and ginger which I boil in water for 2 -3 minutes. Vegetables seem to help alot and fish and meat slow down my urine alot. I think I am ready for the laser. But for now, I do not want it.
    • Posted

I must try your regimen, Mark, as it seems to help!  If you continued doing that, and cathed before bed, you might be able to put off surgery indefintely (I am at this point!), and wait until they actually come up with a safe answer.  Just sayin'...

• Posted

Once your off all the med you will not have retro but you also will not be having alot come out  Because the prostate is not prodecing any fluid  Take  it easy  Ken
  • Posted

1 week post Urolift 4/2016, I went from retrograde EJ and inability too pee with tamulosin to normal urine flow during micturition and normal ejaculation sans tamulosin. Currently 5 months post UL install no problems at all with urination flow and EJ and of course no more tamulosin. Recent research on UL 3 years post install shows UL still working well for majority of those in study. I should add I am taking no supplements for prostate of any kind since UL installed.
    • Posted

Bill I am happy for you.  I had a urolift done in April of 2015 4 implants.  Went off all pills and I have a normal ejaculation and my orgasm are more intence now then they were before.  Thake care  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.