Retrograde Ejaculation, PAE, FLA, ETC.

Posted , 11 users are following.

In this post I'm going to write about two topics. One will, perhaps be of interest to everyone, and one will be of more interest to those in the USA. I'll cover the topic of more general interest first:

I recently had a conversation with Dr. Isaacson of UNC. During that conversation we talked about retrograde ejaculation (RE). I had always thought that it was only one thing. I was wrong.

First, some anatomy. A man's ejaculate is made up of a mixture of the sperm which come from the testicals, and the seminal fluid, which is created in the prostate. There is a valve at the top of the prostate, between the prostate and bladder. Normally, when a man ejaculates, the valve closes, the prostate contracts, and the ejaculate is forced in the only direction it can go, out the penis.

If that valve is damaged, by, for example, a TURP, in any of its many flavors and colors, and the man ejaculates, when the prostate contracts, the easier place for the seminal fluid to go is up into the bladder, where it is eventually excreted with the urine. That is the first type of RE.

A PAE, and many medications dispensed by urologists for BPH, cause less seminal fluid, or no seminal fluid at all, to be created. The result is that when the man reaches orgasm, and his prostate contracts, even though the valve at the top of his prostate has closed, there is no, or not much, seminal fluid to be forced out the end of the penis. That is the second type of "RE", though it really isn't "reverse ejaculation" at all, since there is no fluid to ejaculate. We just call it that.

I hope this clears up why some of us have this happen, and what is really going on. It also clarifies why some of the medications cause RE.

Now on to the part of this post having to do with MEDICARE and insurance in the US, and why PAE, FLA, and some other promising techniques are not covered by MEDICARE nor most insurance in the US, except for those in research studies.

In order to be covered by MEDICARE or most other types of insurance in the US, a medical procedure, device, or drug must first be approved by the FDA. Once it is approved by the FDA, everyone else jumps aboard.

There are approximately 1/4 as many interventional radiologists in the US as there are urologists. Urologists do not do PAEs, FLAs, nor some of the other promising techniques. Interventional radiologists do them. As a result of that, many urologists, and then their lobbyists, who have been making a living on TURPS for years see all that money going out the window to the interventional radiologists. So, this has become a political issue, and there are more urologists. There are also the companies who make the specialized equipment used to do the TURPS. There are millions, and perhaps billions of dollars involved.

Look, for a minute at the Urolift, another relatively new technique. It was, not surprisingly, approved by the FDA, and it is done by UROLOGISTS.

I am sure that there are many urologists who have their patients best interests at heart, or who are not even aware of these new promising techniques, but....

So what to do about it? Will these promising procedures, done by interventional radiologists, ever have a chance of being approved? What can be done about it?

Well, in one sense, there is hope, and we are it. For good or bad, in this country, at this time, most members of the House and Senate are men --- old men --like us, and most of them probably have trouble with urination, but most of them probably aren't aware of this issue, and how approval of PAE, FLA and other promising techniques could help them and us. I don't know how the current election is going to turn out, but Hillary Clinton has already supported more research on men's prostate problems. I have no idea where Mr. Trump stands on this.

We can help fix this problem. We need to write to our members of congress and the senate, make them aware of this issue, point out how promising these techniques are, and ask them to support financing of the additional research necessary to get these promising techniques evaluated, and approved by the FDA if they really work out. It will help them, and it will help us. Just as it is appropriate to support research on women's health issues, we need help on men's health issues.

I apologize for being so long winded, but this is important information. Please get it to your friends, comment here, and WRITE YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS AND THE SENATE.

Neal

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

No way I'm voting for Hillary. Trumps a man with a good looking wife. He wouldn't want RE so he'll fund prostate research cheesygrin

• Posted

Yup, that Melanie Trump!  And maybe with her degree from the U. of Slovenia, she could head the research team!  :-0  :-D
  • Posted

Hi Neal, 

Both of these topics are of interest to me.  I had Dr. Isaacson as well perform a PAE on me 9 months ago, and he did a fabulous job and was so good at communicating with me.  I would give him my highest recommendations.  He also discussed with me the meager ejaculation issue.  He did note that there is a good chance that the semen output will increase over time, so I am hopeful, but its not a big deal, things still feel good when I have an orgasm.  The second issue is far more troublesome.  My Insurance, Regence Blue Cross/Blue shield has thus far denied coverage, so I am appealing.  From this forum, some people have said that medicare did cover their PAE, and a few others have said there insurance also covered theirs.  ANYONE WHO HAS HAD THEIR INSURANCE COVER PAE, PLEASE LET US KNOW HERE, SO WE CAN  BEGIN DOCUMENTING WHICH INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE DONE SO, AND IF YOU KNOW, WHY, PLEASE SAY SO TOO.   Thanks for this info and lets work, as you said, to get insurance companies to cover this, it is a lifesaver!  (by the way, my insurance wants $28,000 for the PAE surgery!

• Posted

I will keep a eye out for  insurance that covers any proedure.  I heard with PAE  you wlll not have a large amout coming out because the prostate is not making as much fuild.  It may inprove like the doctor say.. I just heard from my doctor that you don't have to have retro ejaculation with a turp.  It all depend on if the prostate is not growing into the internal shincter.  If it's not the ejaculatory funtion can be saved. He said he has done it on younger men that still want kids.  Your doctor just has to care and lisen to you.  Have a good day  Ken   

• Posted

Greg,

A bit confused. If your insurance is not covering, what does it mean that they want $ 28,000? I had heard that Dr Isaccson's office charged around $ 6,500.

• Posted

Hi Greg,

Some doctors find that you also have blood in your urine, or some other condition. In that case, PAE IS covered by most insurance. It is not yet covered solely for bph.

PAE is performed by an interventional radiologist, not a urologist, it hurts urologists in their pocket book. As a result, urologists, and their association are fighting the approval of PAE for BPH. We won't solve this funding issue until enough of us write to our members of Congress, and point out to them that most of them are older men who will get BPH too, and they need to get funding approved for the final stages of research which will lead to the approval of PAE for BPH by FDA. That is what is needed to get it covered, for that purpose, by all insurance companies.

I agree with Rich. My PAE at UNC cost $6,500.00, as will my next one on Nov. 3.

Neal

• Posted

Neal,

I'd be very interested to know how uologists are fighting FDA approval of PAE. I used to do freelance journalism on the side and still have contacts at newspapers. I've been thinking of contacting one of the health writers at the Wash Post and suggesting he do a story on recent developments in BPH treatments. So if there's an organized effort to prevent approval of PAE, that would be an important part of the story.

On the insurance issue: When I talked to Dr. Bagla at NOVA Hospital in Alexandria, VA, nearly two years, I'm pretty sure I was told that some insurance plans do cover the procedure. I wonder if the situation has changed. I'm planning on meeting with the folks at NOVA again sometime in the next six months, and will try to get a clearer picture of the insurance issue then.

Don

• Posted

Hi Don,

What a great idea (the possible article).

FYI: Dr Bagla is now at the Vascular Institute of Virginia in Woodbridge, VA. They have a department that handles the insurance end.

• Posted

Thanks for the update, Rich. I didn't know that Dr. Bagla had moved. In your discussions with him, was insurance coverage discussed?

• Posted

Yes. I'm on Medicare, so the conversation was only about Medicare. According to Dr Bagla's office, they have had success with Medicare covering the procedure. When I spoke to Dr Isacsson's office at UNC (Univ of North Carolina), they said Medicare only covers PAE if it's part of a trial. I don't know why there is this discrepancy.

• Posted

Hmmmm. I thought when you're in a trial, the trial covers the cost.

• Posted

I may have misunderstood. Just that the PAE is covered if it's part of a trial. But there's still the discrepancy.

• Posted

Guys: The Vascular Institute of Virginia (which Rich kindly directed me to) has information about PAE on their website. Go to "Our Services" and click on "Men's Health." Under FAQs, they address the issue of insurance. They say that "some insurance companies" cover the procedure. So it seems, to quote the 2016 Nobel Prize winner for literature, "The times they are a changin' "!

• Posted

Hi Don,

I think it would be wonderful if you could do such a story. I will privately message you with some details.

Neal

• Posted

Thanks, Neal. Look forward to hearing from you. How do I access a private message on this site?
    • Posted

Look for a evelope under the persons name.  Click on that  Ken 
    • Posted

Neal, I just read and responded to your private message.D     on
    • Posted

For the best information on private messages search the site for it, but simply put, the PM I sent you should have been announced to you as an email sent to your email address. You can send me one by clicking on the little envelope next to my name in a comment like this that I have sent to you. Let me know if you can't make this work.

Neal

• Posted

I have not yet received your PM. Perhaps you might try again if I don't get it by tomorrow.

Neal

• Posted

Neal, your PM came to my yahoo email address, and I replied from that. I've just copied, pasted, and resent my PM  to you. Let me know if you get it or not.

Don

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.