Return of breathing problem

Posted , 10 users are following.

So, after a spate of trial and error methods at easing the effects of my GERD I managed to reduce my breathlessness and rapid heartbeat as well as stomach pain without using meds and by simply just living healthy. This however does not seem to be enough as my breathing problem still persists. Even worse, I get chest pains. Doctors have begun to think I am a hypochondriac with all the visits I have made to the hospital. There's nothing wrong with my heart and according to them I may only be suffering the last spurt of my GERD. But I don't know. Can anyone reassure me? Please, if you have overcome this could you please tell me how you did it or advise me on what I could do?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi:  It sounds to me like you have a number of problems you are dealing with.  The breathlessness and rapid heartbeat are not normally associated with GERD.  It may be best to deal with these issues separately.  What I mean is to see one doctor for the GERD and another for the other issues.  I have found that some doctors don't deal well with a long list of problems.  Gerd sysmptoms are normally a burning sensation behind the breastbone.  Sometimes the acid will go up farther.  The first thing I would recommend is to elevate the head of your bed about 6 inches.  If that is not possible then a 7 or 8 inch wedge will work also.  What medications have you taken for these issues?  What did the docors say?
    • Posted

I am doing exactly that but it doesn't really help much. The doctors cannot find anything wrong with me - hence the diagnosis that I may be a hypochondriac LOL. I have been given PPIs but these cause me to have REALLY bad headaches - to the point that it feels as if my brain membrane is being stretched further across my skull. I stopped using them when even after a week the pain would not stop. When I told the doctor this they just said; "maybe you should speak to a psychologist. It could be that your symptoms stem from a psychosomatic problem". I have been working at staying healthy and for the most part it has helped. I have cut out all my bad habits, including coffee (my favourite bad habit) and fatty foods. My food is either grilled or boiled and mostly vegetarian. Add odd moments I eat smoked chicken or boiled fish. Don't know what else to do.
    • Posted

This is a real mystery.  So your acid reflux is resolved, and your just having the breathing issue with the high blood pressure?  One thing that may help.  Eggplant juice for the high blood pressure.  That can cause other problems.  The rapid heartbeat could be raising your blood pressure.  CoQ10 has been recommended for helping to stablize the heart.
  • Posted

Hi Tamsyn

I too have breathing/heartbeat issues as a result of reflux. This can happen especially if you have a hiatus hernia. I had a load of heart tests done and they were ok. A hernia can push on your diaphragm. Have you been diagnosed with a hh?

• Posted

No. they could not find a hernia when the did the abdominal ultrasound on me. The doctor said that usually the ab usd is pretty accurate so if it couldn't pick up any problems that means there aren't any. Had a EKG as well and it came out normal. For some reason I do have high blood pressure though - and I am not even an anxious person. 
    • Posted

Hi tamsyn 

i also have a high blood pressure readings and under went every heart test ! but under a 24 hr test found to have white coat syndrome which means when I visit hospital or doctors my blood pressure goes up giving false diagnosis ! 

I purchased a wrist blood pressure reader now and take a reading before I go to gp and see the difference and tell your doctor your reading .

this happens to me and I don't feel any different than calm !

no one knows why white coat happens but it is important to realise that you may have it to avoid being prescribed drugs for high blood pressure when you don't have it !!!

This is very dangerous and happend to me 

• Posted

Thanks so much for the heads up Trev!! Will definitely look out for that
  • Posted

Hello Tamsyn.  Just wanted to tell you about a rare possibility for your breathing problem: there are instances of a stenosis forming under the glottis in the trachea caused by long term acid reflux.  This can obviously affect breathing and its presence can be detected in the first instance by low peak flow and a stridor (rasping breathing in).  Hope this is not the case but thought I should mention it.  Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Hi,

Its funny you should put this on the forum as I have recently started with breathlessness and palpitations since last Wednesday and it happened again over the weekend.  I do went to my local walk in centre and they did an ECG and said that my heart and blood pressure was fine!  I am at my doctors this evening to try and get it sorted. I am currently still under going tests for my acid reflux, have had a Gastroscopy and a barium swallow up to now and waiting to have the PH monitoring done!  I am currently on Lansoprazole to help.  Hope that you get better soon.  Take care, Amanda.

• Posted

Hi you may have seen my posts since January regarding chest pains etc. I have been to GP several times, A&E several times and have been told it is nothing but GERD. Not convinced I started to look at other causes, PPI's cause low vitamins, low vitamins cause palpitations, not all but some ike low magnesium especially and Vit D & B12. So I have started taking a supplement with high levels of these and milk thistle to settle acid and stomach. I have gone from visiting A&E weekly to having no pain and have been able to reduce my PPI and ranitidine, I even went for an indian on Saturday without adverse effects. I too hate taking all this medication but as I am 56 and post menopausal so probably do need some help. I am not a great believer in the low vitamin theory, BUT do wonder as our food is so processed and grown too quickly that I believe some of the nutrients must be missing and also dare I say it, maybe some GP's have not been updated on side of effects. My GP did mention magnesium.
    • Posted

These vitamin deficiencies can also be caused by any antacid, even calcium tums.  When we block/neutralize acid production, the food we eat does not break down properly and goes through the digestive system partially undigested.  Then the undigested food can cause bloating at it rots in the gut and puts off gas.  Lately I've been trying to block my acid production only while I sleep.  Thats when my stomach gets burned, then I feel it all day.  So, I take a generic 10mg famotidine tablet before bed.  It wears off by 10 am.  That way my stomach can make acid during the day and I can properly digest my food.  If it feels like my stomach is making too much acid during the day, I just take a sip of water with a little baking soda in it.  I also take a 5 source magnesium that has helped me get off all laxatives and fiber supplements.  Low magnesium levels can cause muscle cramps so I would imagine it also affects the heart and breathing muscles, as Tamsyn has suffered with.
    • Posted

I wholeheartedly agree Jonathan. One lesser reason I opted for a hiatus hernia repair operation was just that. Acid is there to break down food and it worried me that I was keeping a lid on a natural process.
  • Posted

Tamsyn you could try Buteko breathing method. This method is fantastic for stopping panic attacks very quickly. Try a humidifier in your bedroom. These are around $45 on Ebay for a 5 litre model. Put a bit of lavender in there to calm you down. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.