Return of periods after posterior repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello lovelies, I was just wondering what's the norm for aunt flows visit following surgery? My last period was 2nd May and my op was 20th may, I was due beginning of June but it didn't come...is this normal? I'm not concerned just wondering as I'm usually like clock work. It is common to miss a cycle? I'm dreading my next one as although I only bleed for three days which is great, my god they are heavy and a super tampon only lasts and hr or two 🙈 I know I need to use towels for now...when can we use tampond again?

TIA

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Mine came on time but it's also normal to be late.  I don't think it's anything to worry about.  

People are usually told they can have sex at 6 weeks and I would think you can use tampons if you can have sex.

• Posted

I don't think you could use tampons so soon.

Sex is at the earliest six weeks,even then with lots of lubrication.

Tampons are too dry, and stitches won't all have gone, plus the risk of infection.

Pads would probably be safer, and the thought of pulling a tampon out!

I'm at nine weeks and still to sore for tampons.

What did you have done Dorry, if you don't mind me asking. smile

• Posted

I had a rectocele repair.   I am nearly 7 weeks post op.  I have only used pads as I don't mind them.  

If things seem sore and a tampon seems a bad idea, then of course you should avoid them.  Maybe Matron will chime in on when they are officially recommended or allowed   From what my doctor said for me, it was 6 weeks but maybe some doctors recommend longer for tampons though I have never heard of it here.

• Posted

I had a posterior repair, I'll def use pads for a while, just wondered what the rule was with tampons as I'm not a fan of pads x
    • Posted

Yes I had Rectocele repair, plus other bits, my perineum is still so sore and swollen, it's healed up but feels hot, and the thought of tampons, well I just don't even think about it.

It was a mess before and I think I maybe had some tissue trimmed out, are you still sore when sitting down?

• Posted

I suppose it might vary person to person, matron would be the best person to advice you, hopefully she'll be along later.
    • Posted

I have back problems so I don't sit if I can avoid it because of back pain... but my bits aren't sore when I sit anymore.  They definitely were before, very much so, but it seems ok now.  I didn't have anything done to my perinium though.
  • Posted

Hi lisa. I know we are all different but my periods are always like clockwork every 26 days and were due the day before my surgery but didn't come so I missed one all together then they came 29 days after surgery but I thought I was dying lol really heavy with lots of dark clots which I've never had but thankfully only lasted 3-4 days x
  • Posted

Doctor did specify to me in no uncertain terms nothing whatsoever in the vagina for 6 weeks after surgery and that includes tampons and no fingers moseying about feeling for stitches stitches and no douching in shower he said wash round about the area not in it as these all lead to foreign bodies entering the vagina causing infections
    • Posted

I went to see the surgeon yesterday for 3 weeks post check up, he wanted me to take a course of antibiotics just to avoid infection, but I told him I would more than likely get thrush after a course of antibiotics, so he prescribed me some vaginal cream and to be used with applicator, not sure if I should put the applicator into my vagina.
    • Posted

I was prescribed a suppository with an applicator at 2 weeks.  I figured I was meant to use it as it was prescribed but I was kind of scared.  I used it, carefully, and nothing bad seemed to happen.  The suppository worked and at a 6 week check everything looked fine upon exam.

You could always call and double check if are concerned.

• Posted

Thank you. That gave me more courage, exactly I guess if it's prescribed by the Dr, it's going to be okay
    • Posted

I know how you feel -- you want me to put that plastic thing inside me so soon X_X  But it was ok.  I was very gentle and careful and it was ok.  It didn't hurt, I was just scared I would scrape the surgical site and do something bad but it didn't hurt and nothing bad happened.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.