Return of Rosacea after many years.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello  I suffered fror Rosacea from my early 20's but it was manageable.  I did have anitibiotics and creams which made it worse.  It really flared up during the menopause (together with severe migraines) and where I really only had redness and flushing before I then got the awful spots.  Once I was through the menopause everything calmed down obviously hormone related.  I was never really able to identify any food triggers.  I am now nearly 70 and have had a stressful few years.  I now seem to be getting it back on one side of the face around the nose and inner cheek.  It started with problems with new glasses leaving a mark and causing a spot.  I just wondered what the latest advice is for this condition.  Due to various digestive problems I would be loathe to take anitbiotics for this reason.  The only foods I can think of that I really did not used to eat are raspberries strawberries and pineapple.  I know tomatoes citrus and chocolate are triggers also alcohol heat etc.  Any advice would be appreciated. I will mention to my gp who I see on a regular basis for other health problems.

Both my daughters have it but not too bad.  If I remember the dermatologist I saw many years ago said I had seborrheic dermatitis as well.  One other thing has come to mind about a month ago at the hairdressers they sprayed hairspray on which I usually say no to.    Any advice appreciated.  It just occured to me I have started drinking apple juice with lavender in it. one small glass a day.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Reading through some of the posts I have noticed people speak about dry flaky skin as well as the flusing redness and papules.  Just a thought but many years ago I had the opportunity to attend an open day where I was able to speak to a very well known consultant dermatologist who told me that in addtion to the rosacea I had seborrheic dermatitis as I had a lot of flaky raised areas around nose ,cheek under eyes and eybrows.  I was told to use a shampoo for this (if any one wants the name I can private message as I'm not sure I can post the name also there are two with the same name).  Of course you need to get this diagnosed properly but just thought it might help someone.

• Posted

Hi Libralady13 - Your post struck a chord with me because I am 60 now but a couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Ocular & regular Rosasea.  Aside from full blown menopause, I was also given a Calcium Channel Blocker for high blood pressure.  When I was diagnosed with Rosasea & prescribed the RX, it was the most stressful time in my life as I was caring for elderly parents.  It appears now when I have a flare-up, I get completely vascular in my head and almost feel dizzy/spacey/then migraine headache comes along.  I know menopause & Calcium Channel Blockers (which I am now off) are both triggers, but does anybody else feel like this when they get a flare-up? I think anxiety is also my biggest trigger - 

• Posted

Hi debra16694   Thankfully what I thought was a return of the rosacea was short lived it seemed to be related to wearing new sunglasses.  However I have read that problems with glasses are common in rosacea sufferers obviously because the skin is more sensitive.

You mention several things which are familiar to me, firstly anxiety which I have for a few years but the last year after moving house and lots of health issues with me and my husband it got worse now having some counselling.  Stress and anxiety is a big trigger for lots of things.  Calcium channel blockers was on these for years  but taken off then eventually by new doctor because of the ankle swelling.  I did think though that they made my rhinitis worse.  My rosacea was really bad during the menopause years although I had suffered from my 20's.   I have blepharitis and dry eyes once again similar to ocular rosacea.  I also have glaucoma.  I can't treat my rhinitis because it sends the pressures up in my eyes. I think that so many things are connected and as I said before in other posts doctors should be more aware of this when testing and diagnosing problems.    I wish you well and hope that your skin and eyes settle down.  ps going back to what I was saying I have found that many people seem to suffer from the same health problems Thyroid disease and ibs to name two.

• Posted

Hi I am interested in your post as I too have suffered a recurrence during menopause (I am 51) so am glad to hear it settled down! I found that evening primrose and flaxseed oil about 2g of each per day helped although it was not a miracle cure. I also had some lessening of symptoms after cutting out dairy. I tried oral antibiotics and although these worked I would not recommend it as I suffered from bowel (IBS) problems whilst I was on it. I also think it is very bad for the body to be on antibiotics long term but I was desperate as topical (metronidazole) etc did not work. I have been reading about a newer treatment called ivermectin which is a topical treatment(prescription only in UK). It has good reports. I would also advise you to go and see your doctor and make sure that it is Rosacea and not another skin problem. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi, (in my mid forties heading into meno) I got diagnosed with it a couple of years ago and was given daktacort cream to use....it never seemd to go away fully and only seemed to be kept at bay...I remebered when I was a little girl hearing the olde women on about vitamin e oil in casules and how using it on skin problems works....well it has done for me 8 weeks on since I started no more rosacea! I was getting so ticked off with the extra hair growth from the daktacort - now I don't need to worry about that anymore...Hope this helps..

• Posted

p.s. I just burst the capsule and apply the vit e directly, each capsule lasts a few days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.