Return of sensation to urinate after Chronic Retention

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All

I had a diagnosis of Chronic Retention back in April.I have been self cathing since and I am making good progress.

I am wondering if anybody else can share their story about how/when the urge or sensation to pee returns after a period of catheterization.

I have an urge at 400 mls but it is not what you could call a very strong urge. This is understandable because I had stretched my bladder so much I am surprised I have any sensation at all.Back in April I had no urge until I had 500 mls in my bladder so I guess I am making a little bit of progress.

Can somebody, who has experienced this situation,please comment.

Thanks a million

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

how many months since you start chatheterization and start improving.. are you working or stay at home.. it's very hard if self catching when in working as maintenance in company..

• Posted

An auto accident sent me back into retention 8 months following surgery. As I was about to start CIC my urination miraculously started again and has been steady for 3 years.

• Posted

I have been self cathing for a little over two years. I also had retention issues. I do get a weak sensation on occasion when I have over 400ml in my bladder. However, that urge does not translate into a natural void.

• Posted

I had 2 liters of pee removed in mid-January 2018. I had a Foley in for 3 1/2 weeks after that and then started self-cathing. In mid-April 2018, I felt me 1st sensation to pee again. In late-November 2018, I had a Rezum which cleared the blockage but due to bladder damage, my PVR's were up around 150 ml. This has slowly improved over time and now in late-August 2019, my PVR's (measured by self-cathing as I do not own an ultrasound) are just under 100 ml.

S

• Posted

PS: Before the Rezum, my first sensation was at about 190 ml, strong sensation was at about 270 ml, and very strong sensation was at about 350 ml.

• Posted

Just to say thanks for your post steven 05114...it gives me hope that my situation will carry on improving. I cath but much less now...maybe one to a maximum of three times every 24 hours. I often cath just once in 24 hours now. My confidence is building and the more it does the less I cath..I drank my first pint of beer today and within an hour I peed like a teenager..

Dermot16 I believe that things will improve for you but it does take time. I had a bipolar turp June 15th and had lots of scares/problems/further retention, but I do see things improving now to the point I may stop cathing and only do it occasionally to keep tabs on what is happening in my bladder..like so many have said on here before me, try to keep your post voids down to reasonable levels...( I actually think that "levels" are a bit of a subjective decision made with your personal experiences)

If you want to void more before cathing then try sitting on the loo.....it can make a big

difference in how much you void...

• Posted

GInAndPlatnic46,

If you are self-cathing to track your PVR's, then try to keep them under 100 ml. Besides sitting down, suprapubic tapping with the fingers over the bladder stimulates it to pee again. At least it does for me.

Steve

• Posted

Thanks steve,

I just went 50 hours without cathing. I felt ok but was still anxious in case I was retaining too much .....I finally cathed midday today and it was 140mls (that was 2 hours after a natural pee)...so it seems between peeing standing and also sitting I am not retaining too much..I didn`t plan to wait two hours but I became curious as to how much I was holding...I wish you the very best Steve & Im sure things will carry on improving for you..

• Posted

Hi Steve when I began cathing in April I couldn't pass a drop myself unless I had 550 mls in the bladder. Now I can push out a few mls if I have 300 mls in the bladder. This must mean the detrusor muscle is strengthening??

Dermot

• Posted

Dermot,

550 ml shows that your bladder was stretched out beyond the safe size. I don't remember, did you have a BPH procedure yet? If you can only push out a few ml at 300, then that could either be blockage or bladder.

Steve

• Posted

Hi Steve

I have blockage AND weak bladder. I'm having turp in two weeks. Hopefully I'll void more when the blockage is removed despite the weak bladder.

Dermot

• Posted

Hi Ginandplatnic

After your TURP, I take it you had to continue self catheterizing. Was this difficult , given that you had just had surgery. I am just wondering how one can pass a catheter through past the prostate which has recently been shaved. Surely there is every chance that you can make it bleed because the wounds are so recent. Or, since it is swollen after the operation, is it difficult to push the catheter through.

Thank you

Dermot

• Posted

I used a cath two days after surgery...yes I was scared about the potential for disturbing the surgery and bleeding etc etc...however it was easy and (I guess) because of the less resistance from the new space ,it was not a problem to go in and through to the bladder....yes It bled but ...I think no more than if I pi ssed...It was a very anxious time for me however...

• Posted

Thanks again Ginandplatnic. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I am having surgery tomorrow so it is great to have that reassurance beforehand.

I will let you know how I get on. Because I have a weak bladder, I don't expect to be like the Niagara Falls afterwards but, with the blockage removed , maybe the flow will improve even.

Best of luck with your own continued recovery.

Regards

Dermot

• Posted

hi Dermot...I do hope all is well..Let me know how things are with you if possible...I wish you all the very best!!

Geoff

• Posted

Thanks Geoff

I am just back after surgery. Time will tell how things go. I'm comfortable now anyway.

I appreciate your message

Dermot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.