Return of stomach pains - gallbladder etc

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

About a year ago I was diagnosed with gallstones.  At the time, the Doctor advised scheduling surgery, but I chickened out and the pain went away for a while (upper right under rib and back shoulder).  So it came back in January along with acid reflux and various stomach pains.  I had the gallbladder removed two weeks ago, and the pain related to the gallbladder is gone, but a few days ago I had a return of pains in the stomach -- generally middle, dull and continuous but moves sometimes along with loose stool - that started a couple of days ago.  Since I also have a sore throat I'm beginning to think that I may have an ulcer or gastritis or IBS or maybe it is related to the gallbladder surgery or maybe it is a side effect of the lisinpirol that I take for High BP.  The pain is debilitating but continuous.  I made an appointment with my GI.  But any sort of similar experience and could share would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am pleased to hear that you have lost your gallbladder pain and hope your recovery from that surgery is going well.  Have you considered that potentially you could have apoendix issues?  I have to say that the loose stools could be caused by your op.  This operation affects people in different ways and can sometimes make you intoleran to some foods.  I got told that I could go back to a normal diet but have found that some foods just don't agree with me.  You haven't said if your pain is on the left or right side.  I hope you get some answers from your GP
    • Posted

Jill, thanks so much for the reply.   The pain kinda moves around and tends to be in the middle between the naval and the sternum and moves to the right usually.  I just ate some ginger candies which make me feel better though!
  • Posted

I had my gb removed just over 2 weeks ago also. This only cured a few of my issues too! I still have nausea, heartburn/reflux issues, weakness, lightheadedness, and still no appetite. Also have weird pain/pressure behind left eye, in head, and down into neck. I also was on lisiniprol, but felt it wasn't doing anything, so they have me on metoprolol, which also doesn't seem to help my high blood pressure. I am having a brain MRI Monday, and have a GI appt in April. Hopefully, will get some answers. All my surgeon could say was he was happy the surgery took away my back pain, and referred me to a GI doc!? Also said it takes time after surgery to calm down! 
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder out on Christmas eve 2014, I have to say that in many ways it was positive but they also removed my appendix too.  Within four months I was still recovering from the surgery.  I was told I would be back to normal within two weeks, I was then told that people heal at different rates and even with key hole surgery it can take at least a year before you are okay. I Know why I ended up with gallstones but i was diagnosed four years previously and radically changed my diet.  However what I wasn't aware of at the time too little fat also causes stones.  I Would suggest that you keep a diary of everything you eat and drink and what exercise you take be it a walk round the garden or up and down stairs write down everything and what symptoms appear when.  It might help pin point if there is a trigger that you haven't thought about.  I Am sure that you were told that two weeks and you would be fine go back to normal two weeks is not long enough for you to heal.  I have to admit that my view my be slightly biased but as one helpful professional told me my health was in my hands.  The Diary may flag something up I know it is tedious but it may be worth it in the long term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.