Return of SVT?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone! 

I had a successful ablation a year ago and have had no problems since.. until today.

I was in a situation where my adrenaline was sky high - basically I was driving and someone braked in front of me and I nearly crashed. In a split second it felt like SVT was back and as we all know there is a big difference between your heart racing and the SVT racing.. it kept trying to get into an episode but felt like something was blocking it (of course I am presuming this is from the op and this is a good sign) 

However now I am paranoid it is going to return. Has anyone with a successful ablation had the same thing where it tried to get into an episode and didn’t? It lasted for about 5 minutes I just took deep breaths and calmed myself right down but it’s such a disappointment considering I haven’t had any issues since my ablation.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated smile x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

I also had a successful ablation nearly two years ago.  Every so often I still get a short run of palpitations; they only last for five minutes or so and never get above about 150 bpm, whereas before I would regularly get attacks well over 200 which went on for hours!  I often get the feeling an attack is about to happen but it doesn't actually get started.  I think all this is common and nothing to worry about.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Hannah

I had an ablation for my SVT 3 years ago and I have exactly the same. 

The pathway has been cut off with the ablation and it takes a while for the heart to learn it can’t go there anymore.

Ignore it, it’s totally normal is my advice. 

All the best 

Chris

• Posted

Had an ablation for SVT about 10 years ago, I was better then I've ever felt.  But 2 years ago, I was just waking up in the morning and my heart was all over the place. I was light headed, skipped beats, palpitations. One of the worst I've ever felt. To make a long story short, my SVT did return but in a different form. Inappropriate Sinus Tachacardia. I was told ablations are not always a permanent solution. The condition can come back. I have a loop recorder implanted and taking meds. I'm told this can get better, worse or just stay the same. Really no solutions. I'm very frustrated as this has disrupted my entire life.  I hope your procedure lasts longer. But hang in there and be prepared. Good luck. 

• Posted

22 year old male.

I had an ablation almost 3 weeks ago for AVNRT. I have a ton of palpitations and short runs (1-3 sec) of svt ALL DAY long... especially when sitting still. Before the ablation I only got svt during exercise, maybe once a month or less. 

My doctor said they had to burn a lot in my heart, so i got a fairly big scar. If this doesn't stop then the ablation was the worst decision of my life

• Posted

Hey Hannah, just recently last year I had the ablation done for my Supraventricular Tachycardia. It was successful and I play college soccer and I am in the college band. I have not had an actual SVT episode since then, but I have had extra random palpitations. The fear of the arrhythmia coming back will always be in the back of my head and I honestly do not know what I would do if it did. Sometimes my adrenaline does get pretty high and it beats pretty fast, but not like an episode fast. I know after I had the surgery, my surgeon did mention that he was 98% sure that it should not come back, which means he was not 100% sure, which also means that there is still a possibility that it could. I am sorry that happened to you. I would definitely consult with your doctor about it. They could possibly give you medication to help. Please respond with your thoughts. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.