Return of TN pain, 2 years post MVD

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I had MVD surgery two years ago for my TN and have been blissfully pain free up until around three weeks ago, when I suddenly got a series of awful return attacks. The main difference this time is that I got woken up at night by searing attacks, which didn't happen two years ago (previously I only got attacks when awake - talking, eating etc.

The attacks have stopped again, so I don't know whether to pursue an appointment with my neurologist (I have MS) and neurosurgeon with a view to getting another MRI scan to see whether there is a fresh vascular compression, or to wait and see now what happens. It takes time to get an appointment here in the UK, so should I set the ball rolling now, in case the pain comes back with a vengeance? Anyone had a similar experience?

Sasha

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i myself wont have the MVD surgery because sadly the TN does come back. Many people like yourself get relief maybe for years and then out of nowhere it starts up. i am so very sorry you are going through this again. I would highly reccomend you get an appointment with your doctor. I live in the United States BTW.. how long does it take to see a doctor in the UK?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I decided to get the ball rolling in case the pain returns, so put a call in to my doctor/GP. It can take a few months to be seen if you're not private, here in the UK.

Best wishes

Sasha

• Posted

best wishes and will keep you in my prayers. Wow that is so sad it takes that long to be seen.

• Posted

my friend had the surgery,she is doing wonderful. It might not ever come back,as with all things not all outcomes are the same,depending on surgeon etc. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.