Return to work

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm due to have an arthroscopy on my left knee as a day case for torn meniscus. My consultant has told me I will probably need a knee replacement within a few years due to arthritis. Can I ask how soon will I be able to return to work after the arthroscopy and also drive again?

Thanks in advance

Debs

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi in my case I returned to work after six weeks and if I remember it was about two to three weeks to drive. My knee was still very stiff for a long while as it was locked fie over three months. The cartilidge had flapped over the knee cap. Hope all goes well for you Regarda Bev
  • Posted

I had an arthroscopy back in 2013 with a torn meniscus. I was walking without crutches after just one week, albeit it slowly, and was able to drive the following week. Four weeks after the op I was able to cycle with no problems - in fact that helped the recovery.

Your recovery will depend on the level of physiotherapy you receive - I was OK and received good treatment and advice but I've heard of people that don't get any at all and not surprisingly have problems for a long time afterwards. Before you have the op ask your doctor/surgeon about this.

Recovery, even with physiotherapy, does vary between people - I was lucky and was fine, but it may not always be so. 

• Posted

I had left knee arthroscopy four weeks ago for torn meniscus (torn on inside of knee) and that one I was up and walking in a day, riding the stationary bike in three days, pretty well able to move and do physical therapy within about 7 days.  But this right knee the tear was much more extensive (just had it done this Monday) and two days later I can barely move.  Because it was more extensive, more pain so also longer to heal per the doctor.  So each knee is different depending on what they find.  I keep bending it gently and stretching, doing what I'm supposed to but I sure won't be riding the bike like with the other knee last month. Good luck and it will all depend on what they find and what they have to do.
    • Posted

Thanks Artfingers I had my right knee done about 10 years ago but can't really remember much lol. It's my left knee inside as well. Doctor says there's an additional piece of bone attached to patella he thought I'd broken my knee cap but that's news to me! Am just hoping the arthritis is not too bad and op works well.
  • Posted

Hi. ebs

I think it depends on what sort of work you do and how you feel and recover

I had mine done 13 months ago and walked out of hospital under my own speed.

I was walking the day after, mtbing after 3 weeks and tried running shortly after

After 4 weeks I went back to work, stood on my feet all day in a manual job.

That's when my recovery started going backwards and now I'm looking at another op

If i do have one I won't start walking straight away, I'll do my exies and won't rush.

Take care and I hope it goes well.

PS. I never had any swelling and didn't need any pain killers.now i wish I'd had both

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.