Return to work

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a knee arthroscopy 8/6/18 I have been given a sick note for 2 weeks but I can’t see me returning to a class of 4 year olds after this time scale. Do I need to visit doctor or can I just get a new note. Any suggestions welcome ?? Also how long before I drive ? I’m walking without crutches but it’s still painful.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If i were you I'd get a sick note and leave it at least 6 weeks.

I had an arthroscopy in 2014 and i was doing well till i went back to work after a month.

While i was off for the month, I'd been out walking, cycling, coaching boxing and had a bit of a jog

As soon as i went back to work where i was stood up all shift, it went pear shaped.

Where i work now you can see the occupational nurse and get a phased return.

Take your time.

• Posted

PS im sure you can get an extension to an existing sick note, or so I've heard.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I would definitely get a different cross note for at least 4 weeks, 6-8 even better but obviously I guess you could go week by week, & just see how you feel. But if it was me I would let work know that’s the situation - anyone that reads up about knee arthroscopies can see that most literature says 6-8weeks for feeling better. Everyone recovers differently but you need to spend time with your leg elevated when you can, it’s great that you can walk unaided but I would still be cautious. Driving wise, it’s all about the emergency stop - if you’re in the UK, I was told (by physio) that once I could do the emergency stop without hesitation and strongly & safely then I was ok to drive. I didn’t need an official sign off for it, just had to make the decision myself that I felt safe. At one point I was still on crutches to walk but then gotbin a car to drive as walking hurt but the car pedals didn’t! But that was still months after my op as I had some complications yours sounds like it’s going to plan which is good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.