Return to Work Following Tarsometatarsal Bone Fusion Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m had surgery on 31 January, and am due to return to work on 23 April. I’ve initially told work that I’ll be doing half days my first week back, but people have been telling me I should do a phased return to work, building up slowly.

i don’t see my physio or consultant until next Wednesday, which is very close to when I’m due back on the Monday, to be able to ask them what I should do. 

Does anyone have any experience of this or able to offer some advice?

Cheers.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I had the lapidus bunionectomy in the middle of February. I had to go back to work a week later because I am the only one that does my job and it’s payroll and paying the bills. I’m not sure if you were non-weight bearing or not but I was and still am. When I first went back I could only last a few hours and then my foot would  start to throb  even though I had it somewhat elevated on a box of paper. Then by the time I got home it was beyond painful and I was a total wreck from trying to cram all my work into a few hours,  and would take me several days to get back to the original pain. I found what works best for me was only doing five hours and then instead of going back the next day I skipped a day to fully elevate my foot above my heart. I also had an ice machine that  was better for me than any pain medicine. A few times my husband brought that to work for me and I was able to use that to be able to work a little bit longer. Just remember that when it starts to hurt it’s only going to get worse and you still have to get home etc. I didn’t think about that until it was too late. Also with you having been gone for a while now and it may be even harder for you to build back up your stamina.  Maybe not though, we are all different. I also purchased some ice packs that I could strap onto my foot while at work when it started to really hurt as well, and I tried to be proactive in taking ibuprofen before the pain. My job is mostly sit down but it didn’t take me long to realize that I do get up quite a bit in that process would really tired me out. I had a scooter and it was extremely helpful. I wish you luck. Just remember to be gentle on yourself and I would say to do the minimum at first and listen to how your body responds.  Hopefully you will have no issues :-) are you able to drive? 
    • Posted

Hi Dona

Thanks for your reply. I don’t know how you managed to go back to work after a week! I’ve been signed off work for 10 weeks, with next week being my last. Fortunately I get 12 weeks paid sick leave. I was non-weight bearing for the first six weeks, then had a boot. I’m now out of the boot and fully weight bearing, though using a crutch for support when I go outside. 

As I’ve been off for 9 weeks now, and up until the last couple of days not doing very much, I think you’re right that stamina will be the main issue. Someone said to me just to do a couple of mornings the first week and then build up from there, but I don’t know what I should do. I guess I worry that my work will think I’m making a fuss out of nothing as they’ll think it’s just a foot so why the big deal, but that’s not the case, is it.  It’s a really hard recovery.  Not forgetting the pain!

I’m not permitted to drive until my consultant says so, which I’m hoping will be next Wednesday. 

• Posted

Yep, brain definitely gone to mush. I’ve been signed off for 11 and a half weeks in total, with next week being my last, so have been away from work for a long time.
    • Posted

Total mush at times! haha! Especially when I had overworked myself trying to cram sooo much work into just a few hours. Then my foot and my mind hurt! My hubby couldn’t even ask me any questions at that point, my brain would be fried. I’m not sure how I did it either sometimes. I cried a lot too :-) 

i dont think anyone will think you are making a big fuss. Show, them your foot! My boss was very accommodating this time, and he is very high maintenance and makes me very stressed out. But this is my third foot surgery, and I’ve been there 20 years. He knows I’ll get my work done no matter what. I always have. Even after having my gallbladder removed I went back a few days later to get my work done. 

Dont over do it, and remember it will sneak up on you fast, and then get worse and worse by the time you get home. 

• Posted

It is, thanks! You as well! if you have the choice to only do the minimum at work, take it for sure! Don’t worry about what people think or say... easier said than done I know! I remember the office politics with other women and even men in previous jobs, it was like I was back in high school again sometimes, geez! I’m glad I work alone for the most part now, just me and my boss. And he can be annoying for sure. I am sure he thinks the same as me, but after 20 years we make it work :-) 

my foot still has a bruise on the bottom, the only bruise left. Post a pic of your foot if you can :-) I start PT today, and am excited and a little nervous. I hope I get a foot massage, never had one of those! :-) 

• Posted

Oh yes, a foot massage is lovely!  I’ve had two now from my PT, and hopefully will get another one tomorrow. Hope you got one today. Must admit I’ve not been doing my exercises, but have been taking the dog out for at least an hour every day since last Thursday, supported by one of my crutches as a walking stick. I’ve added a photo of my foot from when it looked a bit more dramatic. I used to call it my “Frankenfoot” but it looks more human now, though still the size and feel of a man’s foot rather than like my left one, as you’ll see from the comparison. Also seems much hairier than my left, which is really weird!

What does your foot look like?

• Posted

The ones with the dents in my foot are very recent. The swelling feels spongy under my skin and I can make indents in it, as shown in two of the photos. Never had swelling like that before!
    • Posted

Walking the dog is exercise plenty! I’m in Michigan and the weather is so wonky. I haven’t walked outside much. I was never a walker because of the pain in the feet, but maybe now I can! Did you have both feet done? I had my right one done (twice, long story) 9 and 8 years ago. And I’ll probably have to have a third surgery when I asked my current orthopedic surgeon if he can fix it. 

I used to be so embarrassed of my feet! this will be the first time I have had “normal” feet! I probably don’t walk right ! hopefully the PT will help with that. My right foot looks pretty manly now. Much bigger! I haven’t noticed the hair, and I should, because it was weeks until I finally shaved! 

Im not good at doing exercises either. But I did it as much as I could. I am terrified of it still hurting like my left one, but it won’t. Totally different doctor and procedure and process. Much better! I still have a bruise on the bottom that’s tender and one two parts of the incision that just don’t want to fall off. 

• Posted

Did you get your foot massaged by the physiotherapist?

I must admit that the swelling has gone down enormously since I started walking. I can even wear normal shoes on both feet!  It’s not long ago I couldn’t even wear a Croc!  

It’s only my right foot that’s needed the surgery. I’ve injured it countless times over the years, the last time being about 7 years ago. It was quite a nasty injury but I had to go back to work too early and they were totally unsympathetic (still work there 😟wink so couldn’t rest it or let it heal gently. That has led directly to the problems I’ve had now, as arthritis has got into the joints. It started off as a stress fracture of my middle toe - or leastways that was the most painful bit - and I had to wear a boot for over 2 months. The foot was still painful but I was told the bone had healed. However, I was told that my big toe joint had failed and was giving no support to the next two toes, so unless I had this surgery I would eventually get another stress fracture, plus I was still in a lot of pain. Foot was painful for at least 18 months before I finally had this surgery. 

My big toe joint still sticks right out, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if I don’t need a bunionectomy at some stage!

Thankfully my left foot is totally pain free. Just wish my right one was!  I love walking and, like you, haven’t been able to go for a really good long walk for a long time. 

• Posted

So I tried to drive the 2 minute drive to my PT. Nope! No way will I be able to drive for another week most likely.

We went up to the suite the place was supposed to be in, and we were met with a sign saying COMING SOON!! And the name of the PT place. Whattt???? I was sooo mad. My hubby called the number I had called to make the appointment. They said that that facility wasn't open yet (should be soon!?) and I had called the number where all of the locations are sent to! I know I had an entire conversation with the person I made the appointment with, asking them if I'd be able to find the location I chose easily, etc. She must have either not known that one was not open yet, or didn't listen to me. I was just so mad, my foot hurt from driving, then walking, and of course then I cried. haha wink

They apologized and said someone from the "new" location would call me today, I'm at work of course, to schedule a time. If that location won't be open soon I will have to go somewhere else. They didn't want me going to the location they accidentally had me at, because they said they can't transfer info from one place to the other.

So, no, no foot massage sad I'm hoping to get home from work today soon enough to call them and make sure I can get in soon!

I've had it with this recovery! My hubby keeps reminding me that compared to the last surgery, I'm ahead of the game, but being older now and more impatient just makes me cranky and emotional!

Fingers crossed for good news and PT soon! smile

I know all about the unsympathetic work.... I'm shocked my boss is being so nice this time. I am thankful for that, and to be able to do most of my work from home. I'd really be a mess if I had to go in as much as I did pre surgery now.

• Posted

OMG that’s appalling!!  I’d have cried too, as well as being fuming!

I had physio today and was told I was doing well. He did a massage to get the lumpy swelling down and then got me to walk around while he watched, go up on my tiptoes and try to stand on one foot (he had to help me balance 🤣wink. That’s my last physio appointment. Then I saw my consultant, who told me I was overdoing it at this stage with an hour a day walking, so need to rein it in a bit. No wonder I’ve been shattered afterwards and not fit to do too much again!  Everything’s still going well, and I saw the x-rays which had just been taken - first time I’d seen an x-ray of my foot post surgery. I didn’t realise how big the clips, or whatever they’re called, are!  There are 3 of them, held in by tiny screws. I’m amazed I can’t feel them as they must be at least about half to three quarters of an inch long each. He’s also said I can drive if I feel I can do an emergency stop, but to be careful as if there was an accident and they saw my crutch they could claim it was my fault as I must have been in pain and not driving properly. So, I told him that I’d keep the crutch in the boot in that case (trunk, to you). Still not tried driving. So, be careful with trying to drive too early or you could find yourself in an accident which your insurance company won’t cover you for, and then you’d be done for driving with no insurance as well! And that’s not even mentioning the pain. 

They both agreed I should do a phased return to work, so have emailed to say I’ll do 3 mornings next week, 5 mornings the following week, and then go full time the week after that, which is fortunately only a 4 day week as the Monday is our May Day bank holiday, so that works out well for me. Not had a reply. I can’t see any reason why there should be a problem but if they start being difficult I’ll tell them to stuff their job where the sun doesn’t shine (something I’ve been longing to say for the last 10 years but needed the money too much). Fortunately we’re now in a financial position where I can actually do that if I want to, thank God!

I hope you’ve managed to get your physio sorted now. It’s so important to your recovery, isn’t it. Mine told me all the things I was doing wrong so I can try to walk correctly, and exercises for my Achilles’ tendon, which is stiff. 

• Posted

Wow you call the trunk a case? I would have thought a case meant what you hold your guitar in, lol :-) 

i hope my PT is good like yours!  I for sure need help on being told how to walk properly. I am certain I never had in my entire life because of bunions on both feet. And I am extremely happy even though I had to be really stubborn to get physical therapy from my surgeon. He said because I had and still have so many issues with my left foot that he would assign it to me, but he said he normally Doesn’t do it. That makes no sense to me it should have nothing to do with him. I am the one paying for it.

yes seeing the Florida our checks in our feet is quite something isn’t it? On my right foot I only have two screws. But they are screws indeed like the kind you use for repairing things LOL. My left foot has all kinds of stuff. Some kind of plate, what looks to be a staple at the top of my toe and many screws. I am all set if I ever go to jail  with a shank in my foot LOL. Just kidding. 

Sounds like a good plan on going back to work. Fingers crossed they don’t give you a hard time.  Does your doctor provide you with a letter? Mine offered it stating how long I needed to be off of my foot, etc. That seemed a lot better than just me saying it. It’s sort of the law then :-) or it should be. 

Yes i was beyond angry, and glad my husband called and not me! They would have gotten choice words and then my tears! Instead I was yelling at him and he had to deal with my meltdown. Poor guy. 

Because I had no PT the first two times, I’m certain my foot never recovered as it should have. And I was given no exercises then either. So I’m vehement on it this time, and very grateful for a better experience, along with connecting with others to see what they were told. 

Ill be caling today on the PT.

You tell them for sure to stuff it if they give you flack! I have always wished I could do that. Luckily after 20 years my boss is finally understanding for the most part. That is a dreaded feeling though to have to go through, and I hope you have no issues :-) 

• Posted

You really made me laugh when I read your post! No, we don’t call the trunk the “case”, we call it the boot!! If you re-read my post with that in mind, I think you’ll get what I was saying 🤣🤣. 

I drove for the first time yesterday. Not very far at all, and it was fine. Like I’d never been away from it! It was lovely being able to drive to Church for choir practice, the first time I’ve been since January, and on Sunday will be my first time singing with the choir in Church since then as well. Slowly life is getting back to normal, except for the pain of course. 

I emailed work again this morning to check they’d got my email. They had but my line manager said she’d been out of the office, and everything’s fine.  So, that’s sorted. Not looking forward to Monday though. 

Unfortunately I’m now in a lot of pain in my left thumb, where I have arthritis in the joint. I had a steroid injection into it a couple of years ago, which took away the pain.  However, it started to become painful again over the last year, and this operation with needing to grip crutches and support my weight through my hands has really increased the pain to the point it’s excruciating!  Fortunately I’ve got a wrist brace, so I’ve put that on and it’s helping. I also suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, fortunately mild. Basically I’m just a wreck with arthritis everywhere - I’d ask for a body transplant, but my brain’s not working properly anymore either, with two and a half months of it vegetating after this operation 🤣. 

Did you you manage to sort out your PT?

• Posted

Oh geez... lol. Duh!!! I re read it ;-) 

I finally go to PT tomorrow evening after work. Hopefully my foot isn’t too swollen from working and the person will be super! 

hopefully your thumb is feeling better! Having the grip crutches can’t be helping for sure. I’m sorry! 

• Posted

And BEST of luck on Monday! remember to not overdo it, and give yourself breaks, both body and mind! 

you've got this!!!!

• Posted

Really tired today and foot very painful!  Work itself hasn’t been too bad but it’s physically and mentally tiring. Everyone’s been really nice, but either the Head of Office hasn’t realised I’m back or he hasn’t been bothered to come and say hello. I’ve got to speak to him about something on Monday, so will see what he’s like. He’ll probably be charm itself, but he’s one of those people who expects people to go to work if they’re ill (being a hero, obviously) and not to take all their holiday (cos work’s more important than anything else obviously) so doesn’t really have much respect behind your back. Don’t care though as my life outside of work is what matters to me, and he obviously doesn’t have one. 

Next week im doing all mornings. I think I’m going to struggle. The week after that I’ll be full-time. I find it really difficult not to do too much, as not much is too much, if you know what I mean. This afternoon I’m simply going to do nothing, just watch TV with my feet up. 

How are things with you?

• Posted

It sure is hard to try not to do too much isn’t it? It gets me every time! I did 10 hours yesterday!! And I was fine, until I drove home. Then the pain set in. 

My boss used to be like yours, and I’d say worse! I think he must be taking happy pills cuz he’s been really nice the past year. Whatever it is, I hope he takes them forever!!! He likes to multitask, and he is extremely hyper and demanding. Maybe after 20 years he’s realized I always, always get my work done, and I can be counted on. 

I used to not take my holidays and vacations as well, thinking he’d appreciate me more, but I realized he barely noticed! Grr!! 

He fries (frys??) my brain sometimes. Usually Monday’s I come home and I’m so wound up from being around him and his craziness I can’t calm down. And I hate that feeling! Especially going back and not being mentally ready for all of the commands at once! And he talks super fast! A lot of ppl ask how I can work for him. Lol. At least I know it’s not me, and he’s been much better. 

Hoping your doing ok! remember to give yourself breaks! 

• Posted

Just finished my week of half days. I’ve felt terrible today, worse as the day’s gone on. I feel like I’ve got a hangover, a really bad one at that, too. With me it’s not so much pain I have to worry about, but more feeling I’ll because my stamina has gone completely downhill during the nearly 3 months I’ve been at home recovering. 

I wish they told you, when they’re saying to rest up for at least 12 weeks, that it would take a huge toll on your general health! It’s so frustrating when I want to go out walking or shopping etc but can’t, and I’ve no idea how long it’s going to take to get back to normal. Next week I’m back on full days. Monday is our May Day bank holiday, so at least I’ve only 4 days at work, but I’m worried that I’m not yet strong enough to do it. I guess I’ll find out!  Thankfully my husband has been wonderful in doing everything and looking after me, so I’ve been able to come home at lunchtime and just rest for the rest of the day.  Work has been really busy and at times very stressful but at least I got everything done.  Ive also made sure to book plenty of holidays as well!

I don’t have a long journey to work, it only takes 10 minutes. It must be tough for you to have to drive on top of a long day.  How are you getting on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.