Return to work physical assessment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am due to return to my job as a home care worker in just over a week. I had a full hip replacement late December. . After my doctor clears me I have to do a physical assessment to be cleared by my employer (to be done by their own physio). I have been told that I will need to be able to do lunges, squats, knights kneels and return to standing, touch toes etc. My physio has just started me doing these things and I am struggling as even before my surgery I was favouring my leg so my quad muscle got weak.( I actually fell at my last physio session and landed on top of my knee, so now have a lump and a sore knee on my bad leg!) a) Should I be able to do these things by now unaided, and b) Is it safe for me to be - touching toes, lunges etc at this point?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, You may want to take it easy. Having a THR does effect your range of motion. Stretching is also very important before any kind of workout. I know alot of people want to put a deadline on the healing process but every one is different, some longer some shorter. Be very careful doing anything that can risk dislocation, especially in the early stages. Average true healing time can be up to a year. Remember the hip can last you decades, so why rush it. take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.