Returning to driving after fractured right ankle

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I am four weeks out from a fractured right ankle and just moved to a black boot.  I understand the concern about having someone recovered before they drive again when the injury is to the right foot.  (Injury occurred as I held down brake to try to avoid lady who drove into my path from opposite direction.  Both cars totaled.)

Have any others had similar recovery experiences?  I have done well so far.   I just want to get a gauge on what I might expect.  The doctor originally said I would be driving in early November but he did remove my external fixator device two weeks early so I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks in advance.  I love this group.

Best,

Mary

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary. Mine was a nasty pilon fracture to my right ankle and I'm 5 months post injury. I didn't start driving until a month ago, following my docs orders to the letter and frankly I was more worried about muscle strength. It wasn't until I was doing squats in PT did I feel comfortable with the ankle motion and strength to drive. Reading some of the other people's problems here, feel pretty lucky to be bipedal in only 4+ months given the severity of my break. So as much as we all want to "get back on our feet," be as patient as you can and heal. Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Mary

I've always been told that once I can perform an emergency brake (using the right foot) then its safe to drive - as long as you feel confident you can control the foot and won't be too sore or uncomfortable.

I always wait for the boot to be taken off or around the time its due off. Usually around 3-4months post op. Quickest I returned to driving was 10 weeks, longest was 15 weeks.

Hope that helps give a bit of a guage.

Good luck!

Charlotte

• Posted

Yes, that helps!  Thank you.

My ankle was displaced in car accident.  I was holding brake down with my right foot and my tibia dislocated and came up through the top of my foot.  So I haven't had to go through the pins and plates.  Surgery was a reset and cleansing of external eruption of bone, then three weeks in an external fixation device, and now I am in my boot a week.  I want to be strong when I return to driving - especially given the nature of the accident that caused the injury in the first place.  Woman veered into my lane from opposite direction and if I had not braked I would have been injured much worse.

Thanks,

Mary

• Posted

Wow, that sounds awful!! Mine was also the result of a car accident (but I was the passenger not driver), but as soon as you feel strong enough with your foot to get back behind the wheel I'd try driving straight away, its just important to get back as soon as you can and try not to let the accident stop you from driving!

Good luck, all the best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.