Returning to full time work after ORIF trimallelor fracture

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! I am a dental hygienist. My surgery was about 10 weeks ago. My next follow-up appointment is in 2 weeks and I suspect that I will be told to go back to work. My office is eagerly waiting for my return with a full schedule of patients (it is all about production). Me, not so much in a hurry to go back. I currently have an aircast, can finally walk without assistance but taking 600mg of Advil in order to do so (pain is bad without the advil). I do have a limp. When I am working, I am constantly on my feet. Anyone with any insight on what to expect pain wise, advice, your experience with being on your feet all day, any brace you might recommend? Thanks!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Well I’m 1yr orif trimaller ankle surgery. My ankle has healed perfectly and I’m back to normal activities. Running, lifting weights and just whatever I want to do but it took time. 10 weeks you’re ankle doesn’t have the strength and the mobility to stand on it all day, even with a brace. If you can find time to get off your feet for a few mins at a time that would be great. Try doing as much strength excercises as possible before going back to work to build up the ankle. YOU STILL Have A LONG Way To Go 
    • Posted

It is so encouraging to hear that you have recovered fully and are back to yourself! I will definitely continue to work on strenthening it and will continue to keep in mind that it doesn't happen overnight. I pray that my boss will be understanding! Thanks for your input!

• Posted

Hi Kenneth

It’s good to hear your success story and gives me hope. I had bimalleolar with talus displacement surgery 3 weeks ago. I have a long way to go it appears. I wondered if you had your metal work removed or not by now or have left it in? 

Kind regards 

Carrie

• Posted

I had the same injury on June 5th, with survey on June 11th—so I’m 11 weeks out. I’m also able to walk (with a significant limp and pain meds) unaided—though after a while I default back to one crutch to give my ankle a break. I’m a teacher and am on my feet all day. 

My physical therapist recommended compression socks to help with my swelling (the mild or moderate pressure ones) and I have a wrap with ice that I wear while I walk around that helps a lot with the pain.

It does suck, going back to work full time, but your body does get used to it! 

• Posted

Oh my, you already started school?! Thanks for your input! I will keep the compression socks and wrapping the ice pack in mind. By the way, how is your ankle by the end of the day?
    • Posted

Swollen like a balloon and very achy. But it recovers after I go home and ice and elevate for about an hour. I definitely baby it after a day of being up and on it—unless it’s PT day (tuesdays and thursdays) and then I beat it up some more before ice and rest. Elevation and ice are your friend after a long day. I have noticed the compression socks do really help with how much I was swelling, so that’s been good. 
    • Posted

Ok, good to know. Figure I will prep myself mentally before going back witg what to expect, lol. Thanks!
    • Posted

It will get easier every day. After my first day back I literally went home and fell asleep at 5:00 because I was so exhausted. A week and a half into it now, I’m a normal human on sleep schedule, I just elevate and ice as needed. Also! I forgot to say I got an ice pack I put at work and I use during my 30 minute lunch. Just pull off that boot and put it on while I eat. 
    • Posted

That is a great idea to leave an ice pack at work and ice during lunch! Thanks for sharing that!
    • Posted

Also glad that it only took you 1 1/2 weeks to get back to normal!
  • Posted

No , my doctor recommended that the metal stay in unless they came loose or poked threw the skin. I went to pt which helped me a lot with range of motion and strengthening my ankle. Pray, push yourself in pt and stay positive. I honestly didn’t think I could ever run again let alone walk. 49yrs old with 3 plates and 7 screws 
  • Posted

Hey there Angpascal, I don't have the same issue as you but am in the dental field as you are.  On feet all day and in pain (surgery possible) I'm dealing with anklle instability with surgery possible in near future.  I know your struggle with on feet all day.  Take it one day at a time and don't push it.  Better to  rest and Ice when you need too, but a full day schedule with Hygiene could make you feel like you want to rip someones head off (God knows I want to now)....be honest with your Doc and if you can go back part time.

• Posted

Lol, Jenlo! I appreciate so much that you understand where I am coming from! How are you managing your pain? How long have you been suffering? I am not so sure they will give me the option to do part-time. It is so hard to find full time in the dental field, that I would hate to risk loosing it. They have temps covering me now, which they are not thrilled about. I pray she, my boss, will be understanding and try to make some small accommodations when I return. But she is very unpredictable and a tough cookie.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.