Returning to Mirtazapine after experiencing panic attacks at night, have I done the right thing?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was prescribed Mirtazapine for a panic disorder and anxiety surrounding sleep (or lack of it) and had been taking it for about 10 months. It had proven effective in managing the anxiety and panic at night, but I was left feeling numb and disconnected from the world, combined with real drowsiness each morning.

Just after the new year, I trialled tapering, then weaned myself off completely using a night time supplement (Sleep Alpha) which I thought had a positive impact on my sleep and relaxation.

I had been Mirtazapine free for over 10 days then the night before last, I experienced the crippling panic again as I could not get to sleep which triggered a spiral. Last night, the same thing happened so I dug out the Mirtazapine and took one, which thankfully calmed me down and I managed to sleep for a few hours.

I feel really disappointed in myself for reaching for the Mirt again, especially as my husband was so keen for me to come off it due to my lack of connection and emotional distance.

Have I done the right thing? Has anyone else come off Mirt then found the symptoms of anxiety return massively and find themselves reinstate? Thanks for any comments or feedback.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Donna,

Yeah ive tried to come off Mirt twice now with no success. Each time the insomnia kicked in and its too much.

Im on 7.5 at the moment. Sleep is ok but i found 15 was more sedating for me.

Ill try and wean off again in the coming weeks.

I find exercise helps a lot and ive heard cutting out all caffeine makes a big difference.

Good luck with it and dont be hard on yourself..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.