Returning to UK after 4 months in Lanzarote

Posted , 7 users are following.

we have spent the last three winters in Lanzarote in a long term let, as I can half my medication over there and feel so good. but last month we had to get out of our appartment as it was sold, my Question is , how to keep well in the UK as soon as I come back within days I am coughing so bad day and night , I use my flutter device and take cardasitine I have Fostar morning and night. I have air purifier. has anyone got any advice. I carnt work out if its anything to do with the humidity or the lack of sea air. I live in the Midlands . thank you Pam.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I also live in the Midlands and have bronchiectasis.

My diagnosis was about 3 years ago, in this time I have learned to cope better and better each day. The most annoying thing for me is that alongside the bronchiectasis I also have developed allergies to temperature change amongst other things.

I get a massive case of post nasal drip which obviously affects the bronx .

I think maybe this could be part of your problem and I have always said I wish that I could afford to live abroad somewhere where the air is cleaner and less humid.

As well as the inhalers and nasal spray I also take fexafenadine every day to help but it only takes the edge off. I hope you manage to find an answer ( if you do please pass it on.)

• Posted

hi Jules, so this may be my problem then temperature change. thank you for your help. take care.

Pam.

• Posted

I am lucky to live in pure clean air, French mountains, but have the same problems as you so that is not the problem, for me humidity is the worst and I also have severe postnasal drip and changing temperatures make me cough badly until I get used to it, ie going from inside to outside. I take no medication beside prednisolone at 10 mgs per day.

All my treatment is free here. I am on oxygen as besides the brochiectasis I have three other lung diseases.

Hope you find another appartment you can rent long term.

regards Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue thank you for your help. I think it must be the change in temperature. I am going to get some antihistamines that was suggested and see if they help. regards Pam x

• Posted

It sounds like the warmer climate really helps, i hope you feel better soon.

I am currently being investigated fro Bronchiectisis , i have suffered repeated chest infections for many years, averaging at least two or three a year, often in the autumn and winter, also had congestion on my lungs as a child, brought up pleghm every day for the past twenty plus years.

Waiting on CT scan arranged for 13th feb and home visit from the physio, my Dr beleives it is Bronchiectisis as i have been having exacerbations of bringing up so much pleghm that i cannot get out of the house due to coughing up non stop, yet again another dose of Doxicyln.

Has anyone else had similar problems leading up to diagnosis?

• Posted

Hi Anne, o yes it took 15 years before I was diagnosed with it. no one listened to the fact that I was not like other asthma people in that it would not come up, I hope you get sorted. do look on the internet for breathing exercises for bronchiectasis, we ust to do them on the beach every day . make sure you get a flutter or Acapulco device to bring crsp up if you have got it . xx take care . Pam x

• Posted

Hi there, yes before I was diagnosed about 3 years ago I was constantly coughing phlem, it got so bad I had time off work because I had to leave my office many times throughout the day.

After I was diagnosed and given the Steroid inhaler for the inflammation and the correct dosage of antibiotics it got so much better.

I hope you get it sorted quickly and put on the right medication for you. Good luck

• Posted

thank you , I'm looking at the things that have been suggested. seems I may be allergic to the change in temperature and may be humidity. regards Pam.

• Posted

You can be allergic to most anything under the sun, including the sun. You can also have allergic-like reactions without technically being allergic. Still, it would be good to be tested and insist that they do the delayed-reaction work in case you are allergic but your body takes longer to show it. This would be good to know because there are some allergies you can take steps to avoid.

I don't know about the UK. Here in the States some OTC antihistamines can make it much harder to get the gunk out of your lungs.

• Posted

Hi . thank you for that information. I'll look into it . regards Pam.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.