Returning to work 11 weeks after TKR - Office chair suggestions?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, I'm returning to my job at a University in a couple of weeks, and my boss asked if there's anything they can do to make me more comfortable upon return. Since I'm not able to get up and down out of a chair too easily, I asked for a new office chair on wheels, that rises higher than a regular office. He said to send a link to what I'd like and they'll order it. I started doing some research, but I thought maybe someone here can suggest something? I'd like it to raise above 45 inches, and obviously have sturdy arms since I'd be lowering myself and pushing myself up on them. I was looking at drafting chairs, but I'm not sure they're as comfortable as a regular office chair. Anyone have any experience with this? All suggestions are truly appreciated! Thanks!

Best,

John

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would think twice about a chair with wheels. Our dining table chairs are on wheels and they roll easily,to get up I have to hold on to the table so I don't slip off and fall.

• Posted

I thought about that, my desk is against a wall, so I'll just push back against the wall for support. Unfortunately, an office chair without wheels where I sit isn't feasible. Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

I agree that wheels will be helpful, as it can be hard to push back a chair that is not on wheels. Just make sure it's a sturdy chair, ideally even on 5 wheels, so that it doesn't roll out from under you. Not sure I would recommend a chair that is very high. Now granted I am a short person, but I would have had difficulty getting myself up into a chair that was very high.

I went back to work at 6 weeks and what I found most helpful was to be able to put my leg up on the desk (not very professional, but needed that elevation). In meetings I would always sit at the end of the table so that I could have a chair to put my leg up on. Also, most people knew about my surgery, so if I needed to stand, switch positions, move around in meetings, etc., they were very understanding. (If they didn't know I just told them!) The other thing that was a big help was to keep my ice packs in the office fridge.

And ... I have lovely co-workers, who were willing to fetch and carry for me and help me out as needed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.