Returning to work after TAH and BSO

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been off for 3 months after my surgery. I have a manual job as work on a hospital ward and have over an hour drive to work. I went to see gp today for review , expecting her to extend my certificate by few more weeks. Still get tired if I have a busy day , need rest pm before school run, get backache after physical work, bowels still not settled and last week found out I was iron deficient with ferritin level of 10. However, she did not even discuss how I was feeling or recovering and just said you have been off for 3 months and I can't sign you off for any longer. On top of my op , I have over last few days had pain in my wrist which she says is tendonitis and didn't seem that worried about. I know it is daunting going back when been off for a while and as she said, I only work part time! But I feel so unfit still, I have poor exercise tolerance still.  Only on patches for 6 weeks and not sure if on right dose. I can honestly say that it has only been over the last week that I have started to feel the start of getting back to normal again. Am I being a wimp? I think I was just shocked that she made that decision without even talking to me , I expected gp to be supportive but don't feel they are now, just a case of " get on with it" . Any one else had issues around when they return and how decision was made etc, and also how you got on when returning to work. I just thought I would feel in a better place physically and mentally/ hormonally! before I went back to work. It is the type of job where you have to be 100% fit really. 

3 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm a courier and I went back to work at ten weeks last Tuesday but mine was only keyhole but one of the couriers over the depot where I get my parcels from keeps on about a customer of hers riding in badminton and the fact she only had her op a week before me but as my husband has said everybody is different everybody heals differently if it was her having the op she would milk it if you're not ready see another doctor yours doesn't seem very nice a bit bitchy to me 
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, last bit made me laugh! So thanks for cheering me up. I had thought about it and thought may make appt later in week. I spoke to my manager and they seemed understanding. Like you say, everyone different. Only went for first proper long walk with family yesterday. First time done that and not come home aching! 
    • Posted

I still find I get niggly pains and my back aches if I bend over for to long like when hoovering and get tired easily so just take it easy
  • Posted

Hi. 

You need to go back when you are ready. 

Your doctor can sign you off longer - she is choosing not to. 

I agree with Lyn. Go and see another doctor. 

I am 6 weeks and have doc on Thursday. I'm not sure what she will say but I hope she will listen to me. I know I am not ready for work yet. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Lee x

• Posted

Hi lee as you know I put my hrt gel on before bed but I'm going to be out late tonight do you think it would be alright to put it on earlier say an hour before I go out?
    • Posted

Yes Lyn

That will be fine. I often forget to put it on after my shower and end up doing it later.

Enjoy tonight

Lee xx

• Posted

Thanks lee it's a evening wedding party of one of the women who works with my hubbie
    • Posted

Well take it easy.

I am in Glasgow with girls to go to theatre and i have had to leave them all and gone back to hotel for lie down. My stomach is really swollen.lee x

• Posted

Hi Mumbolian

I agree with the other lovely ladies on the forum, see another doctor.  Your body will decide when it is ready, you cannot rush the healing of major surgery.   If you go back too soon you could cause damage which is the last thing you want.  

Let us know how you get on.

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Thanks for replies ladies, I know you are right so will book another appointment. Just wasn't prepared for that sort of treatment by gp I suppose. Still find after a day pottering around , that I am shattered. By friday I am exhausted . My husband has been pretty good and is still helping with things more than he usually does! As you say, she is choosing not to support me, decision should be based on my recovery and how can she assess that without even discussing things with me? Will keep you posted. Thanks for replying. 
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

Horrible isn't it when you are expecting support and it isn't there, especially from a doctor, you would think they of all people would understand!  Glad to hear your husband is giving you good support.  Where would we be without them!  

Remember be strong, you are in charge of your recovery.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Thanks jacqui, just don't feel very in control at the minute! I will go back and see another gp this week and get second opinion. I still get really exhausted doing physical stuff . Cleaned my kids guinea pigs out the other day and was knackered after so god knows how I am supposed to be ready for work ! Still having to pace myself and if I have a busier day then I end up shattered the next day. Well work not like that as on the go all day and on my feet most of it. Thanks for you support though. This is the one time when I really haven't known who to speak to as otherwise people been supportive. Take care. 
  • Posted

Hi ladies. Well I just needed to update you as I am even more gobsmacked than yesterday! I booked to see another gp and actually had a proper discussion about returning to work. Well imagine how I reacted when she acted all surprised that I had not yet returned to work and she then went on to say that normal recovery time after TAH is 6 weeks ! She wondered why I had not gone back at 6 weeks post op as she clearly thought I should have. I had to then tell her that at 6 weeks I wouldn't even have been able to walk from where I park my car to where I work, let alone do a full days work!! Honestly, these people seem to have no concept at all. When I saw the occupational health consultant he said 6 months for you to feel reasonably recovered. The gynea consultant said at my 6 week check, if you are getting fatigued or getting pain then you are doing too much so that is what I have measured things by. My gp said go back to work , I'm sure you will manage. If not come back to see us. I did tell her that in terms of sickness that counts against you but not interested. My senior said to me don't come back too early, you really need to be recovered. So looks as if I will just have to get on with it. Not feeling very positive I'm afraid . Just feel if I was further on I'm my recovery, I would be happy to go back as I would know I could do the work. I told gp that I haven't got back to doing everything I normally do at home yet , but really don't seem interested. Only other option I thought was going back to see surgeon. Not feeling happy or confident. 
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

Well I just don't know what to say, what is wrong with these GP's, it sounds like they have no concept at all as to what you are going through.  They seem to be completely on a different planet compared to what the hospitals are saying.  

I am so sorry you have been treated like this, might be a good idea to go and see the surgeon.  

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Were either of the gps you saw senior if not I would want to speak to a senior gp and also put a complaint in against the other two or the other option is to try and see another go in another surgery or rather than see your surgeon phone and ask to speak to him and then explain how you've been treated by the gps from your surgery which is disgraceful 
    • Posted

Hi

You are not having a lot of luck

when I saw my doctor a couple of weeks ago about my hrt I said to her I will see you again in May as that's my 6 weeks up and end of my sick note. She did reply with yes 6 weeks is the norm for being off. Well I am 6 weeks tomorrow and i tried to go into town today and felt awful when I came home. So tired and my back is aching so there is no way I can go back to work this week. I see her on Thursday so I wonder what she will say. I will let you know. 

What day are you due back to work?

lee x

• Posted

Hi, am due back next Monday. I felt really down this afternoon. Had a headache , still getting these hot spells and then developing headaches, which I never usually get. Only been on hrt for 6 weeks as gp wouldn't start til I had seen consultant. Told gp all the things I thought would be issue still. Like being on my feet all day . But didn't seem to go in. I spoke to my husband when I got home and said I was just anxious about undoing everything which he can understand. This has been such a big thing and don't want to have to go through it again! My husband picked son up this pm and did kids tea etc. I went to bed with a headache and feeling shattered and slept for ages. Anyway , I will take advice and try and call consultant tomorrow. Luckily it was done privately as have insurance through hubbies work as if nhs I wouldn't be so confident I could get hold of anyone. I just feel I need to build up my activity levels and tolerance before I go back and not be so tired , although I know some issues will persist for a while still. Thanks for your support . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.