Returning to work after TAH and BSO

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been off for 3 months after my surgery. I have a manual job as work on a hospital ward and have over an hour drive to work. I went to see gp today for review , expecting her to extend my certificate by few more weeks. Still get tired if I have a busy day , need rest pm before school run, get backache after physical work, bowels still not settled and last week found out I was iron deficient with ferritin level of 10. However, she did not even discuss how I was feeling or recovering and just said you have been off for 3 months and I can't sign you off for any longer. On top of my op , I have over last few days had pain in my wrist which she says is tendonitis and didn't seem that worried about. I know it is daunting going back when been off for a while and as she said, I only work part time! But I feel so unfit still, I have poor exercise tolerance still.  Only on patches for 6 weeks and not sure if on right dose. I can honestly say that it has only been over the last week that I have started to feel the start of getting back to normal again. Am I being a wimp? I think I was just shocked that she made that decision without even talking to me , I expected gp to be supportive but don't feel they are now, just a case of " get on with it" . Any one else had issues around when they return and how decision was made etc, and also how you got on when returning to work. I just thought I would feel in a better place physically and mentally/ hormonally! before I went back to work. It is the type of job where you have to be 100% fit really. 

3 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ladies. Well had my appointment today and was really helpful. Few things to discuss with surgeon! He has upped my dose of hrt patches which gp seemed afraid of even discussing with me! With regards to work, he said, yes people will recover at different rates and that is dependent on various things. So at least we know we are not a bunch of freaks for not following this 6 weeks rule! Said he thought issues with iron levels and thyroid and hormones/ hrt were all part of the issue , so not just a case of have the surgery and recover physically. Has told me he is happy for me to go back to work but really it is up to Occupational Health to decide if I am fit enough. Well fair enough, I did agree on that one. But i saw Occ Health 2 months post op and they then discharged me. Cannot get referred back unless manager requests it and cannot do that until I have been back to work! So will have to go back and suck it and see! So to speak. That's fine , I am happy now I have been to see surgeon. Just not happy with stupid processes etc at work . Anyway, as far as bowels, he did examination. Said he was impressed with my pelvic floor muscles - LOL! No prolapse or anything, but found a tear in pelvic floor that I probably had for some time and now come to light following surgery.So, at some stage will have to have further surgery. A relief at least that nothing more serious and something I can manage in short term. Will mean another  spell off work but he said get over this op first! But if I hadn't gone back to see him, I just wonder how long gp would have just fobbed me off and said oh it's a post op thing, take movicol. Etc. aa arrgggghhhh, every time I type movicol , predictive text wants to type moviolas ?????!!!!!!! I don't even know what that is! So, am feeling happier as info from the horses mouth! And now know how to approach work next week. If too much or not coping then back to gp, occ health. Good luck to rest of you. Glad info re website useful . Will let you know how I get on. I am not going to overdo it tho! 
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

At least your surgeon has discovered what your problems are and not just fobbed you off.  Such a shame you cannot have the full period to recover that you need.  Just be very careful when you do go back to work, especially if your job is quite physical.  

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Thanks jacqui. At least something positive out of it in that cause been identified.  Will take it easy don't worry! Don't suppose they will be happy when I say have to have another op but too bad. Hoped this op would sort things out and could move on but looks like more on the cards. Take care. 
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

I just hope this next op will sort everything out for you and you can finally get back to enjoying your life.  Keep us posted how you are getting on.

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Well have had 2 days back at work with reduced hours, ha ha , ended up staying late on day 2 , typical. Feeling shattered and did get real bloaty by end of day . Work colleagues been generally supportive and nice in a way to get back. Psychologically , I think I see it as a sign of getting back to normal. Various things put in place such a restricted duties and referred back to occupational health, with plan that they can advise if need to be on restricted duties and reduced hours for longer period( 2 weeks not really long enough ) had been difficult as some people assume you are just back in normal capacity and have to remind them that I can't do certain things. But some others have been really helpful with physical tasks. Some been bit grumpy but I just thought , tough, it's ok for you but not your health etc at risk. So being careful. I know it will impact on things at home as have 2 children and my day doesn't usually finish til 9 or 10 . So have warned my family that they will have to help out a bit longer, I.e. For good!  I did get lots of aches and pains just from being active all day but to be expected I suppose. I think it is a big step in one go and that is a worry for a lot if people. How easy it is does depend on how supportive work are. If I am struggling I will say so. And may be changing gp soon. Can't believe how bad they have been , meant to be helping you ha ha!! Will still keep tabs on you all on here. Thanks for support. This site has been invaluable.
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

Gosh you are doing well, please be very careful though won't you, it is so easy to get caught up with normal life and forget to ask for help.  I cannot believe how unsupportive your GP's were, sounds like a good idea to change doctors.  

Keep us updated how you are doing, and no more staying late at work!  We will be watching you!

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Hi Mumbolian.. have been thinking about you and wondering how you have got on. Lovely to hear that things are generally  improving for you and each step feels a little bit further back to normality. Please continue to take care.. and yes, dont get carried away, as we all tend to, and over- strain yourself. I agree the support from the ladies on this site is invaluable. Happy contnued recovery. Jo x
  • Posted

Well after working beginning of week, I managed rest of week at home doing everything. Bathroom cleaned properly for first time in ages. Aches and pains settling. Even been out cycling on couple of mornings. Sorted out my summer wardrobe! Felt pretty knackered sat pm but had snooze and gave me boost I needed. Been eating better. Trying to do weight watchers and lost few pounds. Feeling more positive and looking forward to half term and actually having energy to take kids out. Think hrt patches and iron replacement kicking in. Have good bank hol all of you. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

Glad to hear life is getting much better for you.  Very well done on the weight loss, that always makes you feel better in yourself.  

Hope you have a lovely Bank Holiday too.

Love

Jacqui lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.