Returning to work - any advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

Doe's anyone have any advice returning to work? I am working on keeping myself active, as you can guess with only being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (also mild Scleroderma) I am nowhere near where I should be. This week doing a few more things has practically wiped me out...but my guess from what I have read is you need to push a little to gain control?? I am still struggling with not being able to do simple tasks, being a pretty good multi tasker to someone who cant remember where I am up to doing one job let alone two! Have started keeping notes - reminders. Has anyone any advice - thank you in advance.....

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Just you stay as stressless as possible, worry and stress changes absolutely nothing except for making our condition worse..so staying as positive as you can-work on it, will really help....also having a good nights sleep will be soo beneficial too, if you can't do simple tasks..just don't do them..pace yourself..this is real...don't worry if you can't..celebrate if you can. Do hope your first days of being back at work, really work well for you clare.....be blessed and have a lovely day..:-) xxx
  • Posted

Hi Clare, you should be able to return to work on reduced hours for 2 weeks but this can be at your manager's discretion. If you haven't been referred to Occy Health you can self refer as you should be able to adjust your hours, desk, etc. Take it easy when you first go back; I find the first 2 weeks really hard going; and certainly don't push yourself otherwise you will be so tired and it may actually set you back. Think about where your car will be parked as walking into work may take longer and give yourself extra time to get ready before you leave for work. Notes are a good idea but don't make it known that you are finding it difficult to multitask; instead make a communication book so you look efficient instead! Take breaks away from your desk to stretch your legs and keep yourself hydrated.

Caroline x

• Posted

Hi Clare

Just remember to take the day at your pace and speak with Occupational Health and they will advise you too and also speak with your Manager. Only do what you can and try not to get stressed when you feel you have not done enough as this will aggrevate the pains further.  Take regular breaks. Depending on your job Occupational Health work with you and your needs.  Do take advantage of their help, although I went to see mine couple of months ago and the knowledge of Fibro was minimal but as I have a job involving computer data inputting they have suggested I get a document holder and an ergonomical mouse and chair. You have to make sure your work station is suitable for you and make changes that work for you.

Take care and don't stress and I am sending you abundance of positive enegry and good wishes for getting back to work.

One day at a time wink x

• Posted

Thank you Christine, Caroline and Bee so much for your quick response...luckily my HR. are getting Occ Health in place....I am in Retail Sales so drive and have appointment's. So I will remember you advice, sales can be a stressful at times so it will be a steep learning curve. Its lovely to know you are out their and they there are people who understand when I have mornings like today....thank you again for your advice, kind words.... 😊 xx
    • Posted

Hi Clare

Your welcome, that's a tough job being in Retail Sales and suffering with  pains. Hope all goes well with Occ. Health and let them know all your concerns.  After all that's what they are there for to help their employees.

Good Luck and keeps us posted. 

• Posted

Hi Bee, thank you I will keep you posted. What's really concerning is the driving for long periods as I cover vast area of Western Uk, then concentration in my calls....it's not just one with Fibromyalgia is it?!...I 'm sure with heir help and all it will wor out eventually albiet as I said a challenge...like you say, just one day at a time. xx
  • Posted

Hi claire,

Just being honest but it already sounds as though you are pushing yourself way too hard. ....where did you read about pushing to gain control? It seems the complete opposite to what Is suggested by the pain clinic or anything I've read online.

I dont mean you have to vegetate but please please pace yourself because the one thing Pain clinic has taught me (and I've read it too) is that too much exertion can cause one to crash and burn..... not being able to get out of bed the next day is not what we're aiming for.

Be kind to yourself ...because in my experience others will not unless they understand Fibro.

Gently does it Claire, hope all goes well. x

Angie

• Posted

Hi Angie,

Thank you & totally understand. Have been to see my consultant today. My main take from today was to stay positive...as you said do what I can and not to dwell on things. My main objective is to stay positive as I understand it's a life changer. It's a whole new learning curve for my family also. My consultant has been very frank with me about how difficult it can be and that it's the person who has to accept the change. Hopefully this time next year I will feel or be in a better place and managing...fingers crossed 😊 xx

• Posted

Good for you clare, well done for being so determined.... I hope things all go well for you and please let us know from time to time how you're doing. 

#fullofadmiration

Angie

• Posted

Thank you Angel, been through too much over past years and got through those times, so this is not going to get me down! I will let you know how I get on - under no elusions...of the difficulties. xx
  • Posted

Hi Clare,

I am also a sclero sufferernwith Fibro and chronic pain and fatigue.

I came back to work after being told by my dr. to stop and rest as I was progressing rapidly.

I see that this is an old post, however for anyone else that may have this concern i will suggest that you return back to work in small shifts. Pushing too hard will cause more issues and in my case I get sick.

I write so many notes now for work and it has helped me so much. My memory is horible especially for short term. I am also on a lot of heavy meds that cause me to be in a fog.

Working is essential for most people to put food on the table but you have to remember you only get one body and you have to take care of it. No one esle out there will. Even with support from loved ones, you have to make the call on what you can do. If you have not heard about the spoon theory I highly recommend reading it.

Good luck and I hope that you are doing well. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.