Returning to work as a chef after surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Realistically how long will it be before I can return to work ? I do a lot of food preparation and lifting as I work in a fish restaurant.

I'm due surgery shortly as mri and nerve conduction tests show cts with moderate nerve damage in both hands.

I'm reading up on recovery and am determined to be optimistic ! I am realistic too and don't want to compromise my long term health by returning too early.

Splints at night help a bit but my job is definitely making it worse.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello i hope it work out for you. You know what they say everybody body is different. I had surgery on both my hand and elbow. I went back to work and i couldn't keep up with others. I use to type 50 word per minute, but now i can't type worth a damn. Im going through disability now, cause i lost my job because of the surgery made my hands worse. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you.What would the alternative have been for you? I was told that if I did nothing it could get so bad that I may lose my hand function from the nerve compression. Damned if you do,damned if you don't. ..

• Posted

They told me the same thing, but once i had the surgery my nails start peeling off. The had nerve damage so bad that i couldn't feel my fingers or grab anything. I just became depressed and ended up on more and more meds

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.