Returning to work as self employed

Posted , 6 users are following.

I feel such a relief to say goodbye to the DWP  after being  on ESA for over 14 months and starting a new job,  doing over 16 hours a week. Can anyone tell me what tax credits or any other entitlements I can get  ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi didn't you have a back to work calculation at the Jobcentre before you accepted work?  Not sure if they will do one now.

I think (unless they have changed it) that you have to work a minimum of 30 hours a week to get working tax credits. 

What is your situation?  Do you live with a partner?  If so is your partner working?   Are you liable for rent or council tax?  Do you have children living with you and what age?   A lot depends on your circumstances.  x

• Posted

Oh and were you getting ESA support group or WRAG?  x

• Posted

I found the job independently . The job centre were worse than useless and I gave up waiting for a reassessment . I was in ESA support group. 
    • Posted

Hi I thought if you were in the ESA support group you can try a job for a while (not sure how long) and if it doesn't work out you can go straight back on the same benefit.  There is also 'permitted work'  you can do whilst still claiming your benefits. 

Whether you found the job independently or not has no bearing on what other benefits you may be able to claim,  and like I said these depend on your circumstances which I mentioned earlier.

Have a look at the Govt. uk site (just google this and it comes up).  You might find some answers on there.  x

• Posted

Thanks for your advice I agree with all you have said because I did loads of googling. You can only earn up to £115 a week and not do more than 16 hours. Unfortunately I am doing over 20 and earning more than the limit. Which makes things more complicated. I have hated the stews of waiting for a stranger to come to my house and ask intimate questons so I have decided to go it alone. Very scary but hae to be done for my sanity although I am notcsure how long my body will last.

• Posted

I have sympathy for you. You and many like you have no alternative but to go it alone from looking for a job to trying to claim a benefit. I'm too old and ill to now look for work although it is the only way that I could increase my income. To me it seems that there is only one thing in the mind of the government and DWP and that is to cut back in any way possible what they pay out in benefits. They are even now looking to get rid of the annual increases in the state pension on the basis that pensioners now have it far too cushy. They appear to be also saying that when you get past 65 your disablities are re-classified as 'just a symptom of getting older'.

?I hope things work out for you as in this life you are the only one that looks after yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.