Returning to work following SCS.

Posted , 7 users are following.

My surgeon has recommended me for SCS before I opt for surgery on my spine. I have three level disc degeneration of L3,L4 and L5. The proposed surgery was an anterior and posterior instrumented decompression and fusion of L3/L4, L4/L5 and L5/S1.

This surgery would have seen me medically retired from the Fire Brigade due to my movement being restricted to 60-70%. I have been on large amounts of various pain relief for over 5 years now, and had many procedures to try and relieve the pain, but to no avail.

I wanted to know, if the two week SCS trial is a sucess, and is implanted permanently, would I be be able to return fully operational once fit, or would l be expected to limit my movements and lifting of heavy equipment to prevent the electrodes from damage?

Many thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had the wave runner implanted on June 15, 2018. I would like to know a lot more myself about restrictions but really haven't found or gotten any answers myself, so for me it's trial and error. I can day that it's diffentliy a lifestyle change and limited on some movements like, bending, lifting , sitting, etc... I'm currently researching the appropriate core excersise to do.

Not a lot of info on the details after implant surgery.

• Posted

I'm beginning to realise that there's quite a few different versions of this, are there many different variants in the UK?

• Posted

Hi Vinny,

A couple of things to remember about what the SCS is: first, it is not anything that addresses the core damage that exists in your body.  That will remain and potentially continue to worsen inside of you. It could worsen to a point where any pain relief you get from the SCS could be overwhelmed.  So if it were me personally, I wouldn't return to a job that has the potential to worsen my L3, L4, L5 region.  I'd still be careful about that region, just like you would without the SCS.

Second, I would say from my own experience that you should not think of the SCS as an "on/off" pain switch. It may not simply turn off your pain.  It may only reduce your pain or perhaps just replace sharp pain with dull ache.  It also may not suppress sudden sharp pains that occur if you are already prone to them. And finally, it may reduce your existing pain but generate new pains elsewhere, such that your overall pain relief is a tradeoff.

What would I do in your situation?  I'm not a doctor nor am I broadly knowledgeable of the SCS - I have only had mine for a short time.  But in my view - the three level spinal fusion and decompression surgery you are contemplating is a very serious one. It will have a long and painful recovery period. And it may not fully relieve all of your pain. It will for sure limit your mobility.  So if it were me I'd be looking to avoid that surgery if I could. But on the other hand, I wouldn't look at the SCS as a guaranteed lifesaver. My experience with mine so far has not been great but it hasn't been a failure either. I get significant pain relief but I am so far unable to increase my level of physical activity (without inducing significant pain, despite the SCS) or to reduce my medication significantly. I'm hoping we can find a program on the SCS that can do more for me but I'm concerned whether that will happen.  If I were you I would try the SCS but I would temper my hopes about returning to a physically demanding job.  I would temper my hopes down to just being able to live a bit more sedentary life with a solid bit of pain relief.  If you get more than that, great, but don't get your hopes up for more.  At least that's been my experience...

• Posted

Thank you, I appreciate that reply, I haven't known what to expect really, and I needed an idea of what to say to work. It's what I thought may be the case.

• Posted

Yo, Vinny!!!  It's me...Johnny...Johnny from Brooklyn!  You know...Frankie Five Fingers!  I am a proponent of "Don't fix the pain...fix the problem".  Here's what an anterior L3 through S1 LLIF looks like.  12 days in the hospital, 4 months of rehab, 6 months in a brace.  DO NOT lift heavy objects EVER AGAIN!!!.  Any stress on the spine will compromise L2-L3 then L1-L2...it's like climbing a ladder of continuous destruction.  After this surgery, you can live a pain free but more limited life.  That's the reality of it.  Do the damn op...get it over with.

• Posted

The "ladder" is true.  I didn't listen.  So then I got bi-lateral foraminal stenosis at L2/L3 requiring another fusion...this time a lateral LLIF.  MIRACLE OP!!!! One night in the hospital, no rehab, no brace.  But now I have to be very careful about L1/L2...that would require a MAJOR fusion of T10 through L3 because the problem covers the transition between the thoracic and lumbar vertebrae...they ALL have to be fused together.  I don't want that to happen.

The pix are LLIF pre-op lateral, post-op posterior and post-op lateral.  HUGE difference.  Check YouTube for "Globus LLIF" and the "Globus Caliber" to see the technique and the the expandable spacer.  Genius.  The technique can be used on a one or two-level lumbar fusion in the same op.

• Posted

Hello Vinny,

I had my SCS this past February up until this past Friday, I would have said no way, but I was on Oxycodone,I took them 4 time a day and some time I would wake up around 2-3 am hurting bad.and have to take a pill. What happened I asked my Dr. for more pills and of course he said no...I see him this Wednesday. While I wait in 8-9 pain level I looked around for other pain pills, I found a couple, but what is helping me is Lyrica a nerve med, my Primary Dr. gave me at first after taking it I did not like the way it makes me feel, since I didn't have much to help, I took it now for two days and my back is better! and no pain meds. I don't know how long it will take you to go back to work, because I was not able to go back, I'm not sure if I am going to take the Lyrica, because of how it makes me feel, like slow in the head not thinking as fast, that's my issue with Lyrica, but I am gonna continue taking it, because it helps the nerves in my body.and I am doing okay without pain pills. I do have some pain in my back L3,4,5. but its not like it was before. So my advice is to try it, it may help, but I am not sure about lifting things, I have pain after bending, and standing to long, but since I am taking Lyrica things may changed. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.