Returning to work in pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

ive been on the sick and I'm due back to work next week , but I'm still in pain. 

My gallbladder operation is in April but I know that I won't cope at work,  but cannot justify being off till my op. If I return to work and feel ill can I go sick again ? Will I be dismissed ? I'm in constant pain and if I move wrong or bend I'm in agony and I know people will think I'm just putting it on. 

Will I do myself damage ? I'm so worried. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

That , unfortunately is a decision you have to make especially, if your insurance is with your employer. I know I worked with a knee that was bone to bone for years. I came home from work and could not walk with the pain. I called and got an appointment. In 2 weeks I was having knee replacement. What kind of work do you do? 
    • Posted

Hi Angela , I work in a shop , I do a lot of lifting and my warehouse is in a confined place so I have to move heavy cages etc to get to stuff , I could be put to work on the tills which is lighter but just turning my body gives me pain that makes me cry out, and would be standing for 3 hours in same place. I have Tramadol tablets for pain but they make me dizzy and tired and occasionally sick. I'm in the uk so I've been getting sick pay but after 4 weeks it's classed as long term sick, I doubt that they will look kindly to me being off till I get my op. 
    • Posted

Oh my goodness dear! Is your insurance through your employer? I would go ahead and put in for the longtime sick leave if your doctor will write a letter and explain the situation. You are taking a powerful pain killer and you even working with that is dangerous. Your surgery is Feb. 4? Then that is just 4 days away. You have to work Mon-Wed. then surgery and off for at least 3 - 4 weeks. You know how much you are suffering but, most employers do not listen and understand. You will have to communicate with them and your doctor should be able to help with that. I certainly hope so.Do they know you are on that pain killer?
    • Posted

My operation is April 16 Angela not February. I've been off work for five weeks with pain and in those 5 weeks I've had my scan blood tests doctor appointments and seen my consultant. If I go back to work in pain I will have to go sick leave again 
    • Posted

That is just too long. Maybe you can keep in contact with the nurse and see if there are any cancellations. I just don't have an answer. UK is so different than the U.S. I don't understand why you cannot have emergency surgery.
  • Posted

Hi Gillypoo,

Understand where your coming from, not easy and so glad I no longer have to work. I was off for over 6 months when had cancer and work were very understanding. First off go back talk to your doctor, and then would say talk to human resources and explain the situation. Or if you do not have one then talk to your boss. Take info in on how the gallbladder works and how it affects one. Hopefully you have an understanding boss. Better still get them to look up this forum and see how bad it is. It's no joke the pain is terrible and especially if one of the stones move. I. Wish you luck.

• Posted

If I were you I would return to work but explain the situation clearly. They need to know that if you have an attack you will need to go home and that you may need to go off sick for longer. I doubt anyone will think you are putting it on if they actually see you. I apparently look grey and visibly pained when I'm having an attack - you can't put that on! I don't think that they can legally let you go for being unwell but that doesn't mean they couldn't find another reason. My GP has said that physical activity isn't likely to do me any damage and has encouraged it as my bmi is high.

It's only a job though and your health comes first. X

• Posted

It's not so much an attack , I'm in constant pain , the pain is always there and when I move , turn , get up from sitting or sleeping I cry out in pain, the doctors not sure why , the scan showed little stones in the duct and two large ones that are blocking the entrance to the duct. She thinks my liver may be enlarged or gallbladder is enlarged and pressing against my body causing pain. When I do have an attack I know it I just want to curl up and die then !!!!
  • Posted

I've had my gallbladder out in Novemember and it started with the pain THIS TIME since May and previously years ago when I thought they had gone, the one thing I should try is 1 teaspoon of organic cider vinegar and lots of water, when the pain starts have a full glass of water and also the cider vinegar once a day, try that and see how you go I had this and it helped me till the op, also have juices beetroot blended with other veg and peppermint tea that is good and also camomile at night. It may help till you get the op, good luck Stella
  • Posted

Hi

I have been off work due to excruciating gall bladder pain now for six months and have just been placed on the waiting list for surgery due to delays in getting a diagnosis but I still don't have a date for the surgery. I'm also in the UK and like you am very worried about my job but there is absolutely no way that I can work due to the pain and the added side effects of strong pain relief - my gp offered me morphine last week which I declined but I may have to consider as the pain is worsening on a daily basis. I can fully sympathise with your predicament as the NHS waiting times are truly barbaric. I regularly communicate with my manager who so far has been supportive and I hope that while ever sick notes are being provided by my gp then my job is safe - at least I hope so. Could you liaise with your employers and explain your situation and explain the situation with the NHS waiting times - as you have a date for surgery you may also be able to give them an approximate date when you will be fit for work. Best wishes with the surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.