Reverse ageism......

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just remembered a very interesting conversation my surgeon had today with a junior doctor who was shadowing him. He was having a little grumble about reverse ageism, and I was introduced as a "rather young" TKR patient 😁 I was 49 last week. He was also saying that he strongly disagreed with age being a deciding factor, and that all surgical decisions should be made on an individual clinical basis, with quality of life and pain levels being the main issues regardless of age.

It was so refreshing to hear him speak in those terms, instead of the usual roll of the eyes and sharp intake of breath, accompanied by a shake of the head, when they realise my age!

So, if anyone is being fobbed off with the "you're too young" excuse, it may well be worth seeking a 2nd opinion.

Best wishes and good luck to everyone at ANY stage of this epic journey!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well said - wish I had had mine a few years ago - have missed out a lot - even though I think they try to delay in order to avoid another one 20 years later I'd sooner have taken my chance and been given the choice of having it 'young' or struggling until I am 56! (Still young but felt very old when I finally had it!)
  • Posted

Hi Terri

i was 48 when I got my Partial knee replacement. And up here in Scotland age was never an issue, although I was "young" it never hindered the decision I was bone on bone and the " Oxford" knee they have given will hopefully last until I do need a full one. I am 4 months post op and getting there slowly. Good luck

Gill xxxx

• Posted

i agree with you i was not as young as you terri i was 55 if they are not willing to look at your knee pain and choose to look at your age first then in my opinion they are not confident surgeons  it is the same with revisions which i had last august i was 56 and one surgeon said but your young if i do the knee again you will need another too young needless to say i got second opinion and he done the revision on the fact my knee pain was the factor and never gave my age a second thought he to me is a surgeon with confidence
  • Posted

You have a smart doctor. Mine insisted I wait until I was 50. Went in at 50 and after the TKR he told me mine was the hardest one he had ever done. I grumpily said " I told you I wasn't lying about how bad it hurt for so many years". Now 9 months later I am in a lot of pain still and not able to do even what I did before. Should have gotten a 2nd opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.