reversed diabetes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone here has had type 2 diabetes reversed through diet and exercise ? I would like to read about your experiences....

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about two months ago....I am not on medication.

I have started a low carbohydrate, sugar free diet and I am pretty active. My aim is to loose some weight and reverse my diabetes and keep my cholesterol low.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Occasionally I will take very high carbohydrate meal and measure the BS after 2 hours and it has been normal. Is that what's referred to as "reversing Diabetes"? I am not sure. I feel that you can never really say that you have got rid of this beast. I am still very careful in what i eat. Having attended lots of seminars on this topic and studied extensively, I gather that the real cause of diabetes is FAT and sugar is just the symptom and cause of the problem. So exercise and reduction in BMI will certainly help.

?With my diet, I don't eat any processed food, oil, refined sugar. my diet is mainly whole food plant based. It has helped me with maintaining my weight and keep diabetes away.  

• Posted

I do not touch processed food either....I too, eat lots of greens and few berries daily, I agree with you entirely that the fat is the main culprit here, the liver can not cope......I am replacing carbohydrates with chia seeds, nuts, flaxeed meal for breakfast, lots of salads, oily fish. I do exercise quite a bit and my energy levels are higher.

I have hypothyroidism and have been at high risk in getting diabetes for sometime....so, watching what I eat long term.

• Posted

I  don't think that's right seangreen. Low carb is definitely the way to keep your BS at a healthy level. Low carb but high fat. Body fat especially visceral fat is really bad but eating fat, olive oil, butter cream and full fat milk and Greek yogurt are good. Low fat yogurts are stuffed with sugar and the same goes for skim milk. Cut the carbs and raise the fats. No processed foods

• Posted

Dairy for me at the moment is tricky....I have a fungus I can not get rid of, still have some itching. Look up Doug Kaufmann diet, an anti-fungal diet, avoiding lactose, like any other kind of sugar. Pathogenic fungi necessitate sugar to survive. The only dairy I can have is organic yogurt with active cultures and goat milk, yogurt and cheese...are lower in lactose than cow's milk. No mushrooms, corn and some types of beans, also lots of fruit are out for me, except berries and green apples.

Need to watch HDL, LDL, cholesterol....I can not eat high fat, I have already have a fatty liver. I am seriously looking into becoming a vegan....for me fat is a major issue, from oils to animal fat. 

• Posted

I know that it is possible to reverse type 2 diabetes. I have lost 2 stone cutting out sugar and also carb diet. My goal is to reverse my type 2 and get off the medication. Type2 patients who get gastric bypass surgery reverse their type 2 diabetes. This is because of losing weight and following a strict post op diet. I tried following a pre and post op diet but didn't stick to it as it was mostly water, eggs, jelly, and vitamins. It was not easy to stick to that. I wish you success as it is a horrible disease to live with.

• Posted

Since I started my diet I have lost one and a half stone and counting....it is all about carbs, cutting right down and manage to keep going. You get used to it and there is a lot of support from a lot of people who  are doing the same thing. I mentioned I am on a low cab diet.....

When I was diagnosed with diabetes two months ago my HbA1c was 50.....now is 43, cholesterol was 5.30 and now is 4.50, HDL is now 1. I monitor my glucose levels every time I introduce a new dish, eat lots of vegetables, nuts and seeds, very lean meat, oily fish and small amounts of quinoa, soy bean pasta, kelp pasta, Shritaki noodles......

Thank you for your wishes

• Posted

Sorry it should say I am following a low carb diet.
  • Posted

You could try looking at Michael Moseley's 8 week blood sugar diet. There is a facebook page that might help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.