Reversing of HYPOTHYROIDISM ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Many years ago I was OVER active with my thyroid.... After a lot of unsuccessful medication I was eventually given the Radio Iodine drink & became UNDER active. My meds were gradually increased & I am now on 150mcg per day. I have been fine with this....

Recently I have been told my blood pressure was raised a bit, I have been feeling quite wound up emotionally, I ache really badly in my upper legs & am feeling tired.

Last week the doctor rather to my suprise.... told me my meds were now too high possibly & I was producing the thyroid hormone.... I didn't know this could happen????

Has anyone else got any experience of this at all as I'd love to hear from you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi , i has Radio iodine about 5 years ago and to be honest my dose is always up and down. I will be fine for a while then it will go down then back up. I have found that our bodies dont work in 25mcg chunks so be prepared to take different doses on different days to get it right. I am also menopausal which makes it worse
  • Posted

WOW..... Thanx for the speedy response Sdob46

I had the Radio Iodine drink well over 10 yrs ago & my Levothyroxine levels has only ever been increased as you say by 25mcg each time. I didn't know it could go OVER active again after having the drink... so this is all a bit new to me.

The doc suggested leaving things for now & be retested in a few months..... or get the dose reduced a bit.... I decided to leave it for a few weeks for now & see how I go with symptoms as my weight is a fairly steady 9 & a half stone & I am 5ft 4in. Aged 46...... What do you suggest personally?

• Posted

Your thyroid isnt actually going over again, sounds like you are being overmedicated, this gives all the symptoms of overactive. I am lucky as my doctor lets me sort my own dose out as to how im feeling, but recently it has been all over the place because of the menopause. You could try cutting down on a couple of tablets a week e.g take 150 mcg for 4 days and 125mcg for 3 days, it sounds a pain but it works. I take 100mcg per day but i take 125mcg on friday and saturday. That small cut in dose could be enough to make your over symptoms ease 
  • Posted

Thanks for that info....

That would make sense. But doesn't it mean my thyroid is producing thyroxine again as if it's healing itself?

A long time ago I was sorting my own dosage out as my doctor was fabulous & agreed that I could do that & it seemed to work.... I guess I should return to my GP here where I now live & see what he says. Thank you.

• Posted

I would have a word with your doctor, i was told that Radio iodine didnt completely kill the thyroid just stopped it being overactive, but one of the side effects was going underactive. There are lots of reasons why it could change, hormones is one, other drugs we take absorption of the levo thyroxine and even what we eat can change things, hope you get sorted, its a long slog this thyroid business 😄
  • Posted

You sound pretty clued up on all this & I thank you for keeping sending messages. I feel armed now with some things to ask my GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.