Revision knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm 42 years old I have had both my knees replaced due to arthritis but now I need my left knee replaced again . Has anyone had this done ? 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It's referred to as revision. Yes, I had to have it done after 9 years but I was considerably older than you. Have you had an open conversation with your orthopod about the life of the prosthesis amounts to and why the 1st ones need replacemen. I am guessing from your age, the originals aren't very old. Any reason given why you didn't get any more years out of them than you did. Also what happens if the revisions wear out. You can't just replace like eyeglasses. At this time you are generally going to be given one replacement+ one revision. I would ask a lot of questions about 15, 20, 25 years downline. As far as rhe actual revision..........same process as the orginal tkr.
    • Posted

Hi, I had my first replacement When I was 29 years old  and my other a year and a half ago. It's the spacer that has worn out on the knee I had done 13 years ago. Thank you for the advise I will be asking lots of questions. Is your revision as good as the first knee replacement ? Do you  walk unaided ? 
    • Posted

Actuall the revision is better. With the original , my foot turned out causing hip pain. The new one is a straight stride. I'll bore you with my history as I have many others on here. I had/have pvns, a rare turmor. I had 3 surgeries to drain the huge quantities of blood from the joint, 30 rounds of 70% radiation and a synovectomy plus 5 needle drainings before the tkr. The tumor came back, ate up the bone around the prosthesis and it came loose and had to be replaced. The day after the revision, I fell breaking the femur, next day back into surgery and a plated from knee was inserted and held in place with 8 screws (4 screws went all the way through the bone) 8 months later the plate was rubbing on the inside of the skin on my knee and a couple of months later it was removed in a simple outpatient surgery. 30 days later, staph infection in the joint and the knee had to be reopened, flushed and PICC lines inserted for antibiotic infusions. I'll be on antibiotics the rest of my life. Late Oct. last year I sort of passed out from an infection and fell full force on both knees. (also split my head open) After about 3 weeks the knee started hurting and fluid built up. I am now back in PT and coming along. I've hade 4 complete rehab sessions through all of this. I walk without a cane most of the time but still have a lot of pain but think it will be minimal in a couple of months. I was 6 months short of my 66th birthday.........I turn 78 next week so it's been a bit of a journey. I tell friends that are contemplating tkr, don't look at me as a model for making a decision on the surgery
    • Posted

You have really been through a lot . I hope things get easier for you soon.
    • Posted

Thanks.....last 2 mornings have been better and I got nearly 6 hrs sleep last night so things are picking up. Crazy weather keeps the joints in turmoil. It was 73°F here Wed.... Rain and snow starting tonight. At least I don't have to go out over the weekend which will be good.
  • Posted

My sister in law had her right knee replaced, about 12 years ago.  Just this December she underwent her 4th replacement on the left.  I call her my hero since rehab after every single surgery requires the same amount of effort!
    • Posted

wow that is a lot of knee replacements. why has she had the knee replaced 4 times ? 

How long did each last ?

is she walking unaided? Sorry lots of questions

• Posted

The 4 replacements in the left knee were done in an 8 year span. She had a lot of trouble with the initial surgery - severe infection causing them to remove all the parts, heal the infection, then replace everything. This last surgery was due to loosening upper and lower. She isn't walking unaided yet after the last surgery because it's only been 4 weeks, but prior to that she was walking normally, other than the joint malfunction. They did discover before this last surgery that she has an allergy to nickel, which I guess a lot of the replacements are made of. She has a great outlook and works hard.
    • Posted

She sounds like she has been through so much. I wish her a speedy recovery
    • Posted

Thank you Diane.  We are positive (as she is) that this will be the last surgery needed.  We're all hoping she recups well!
  • Posted

If you have had a TKR and then an infection do you know what caused the infection? Was it Doctor error?Is it preventable?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.