Revision surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone in the UK had revision bunion surgery? Having seen

a podiatrist today regarding my feet she feels that my op was

not done properly and suggested I return to my Dr and ask to be

sent for another consultation with a different surgeon.

I'm so dissapointed with the out come nearly a year post op that

I'd like to go for it and wondered what the chances were of the

NHS redoing it.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had a double op 25 years ago and they both came back! I'm now 50 and decided to have it done again, had left foot done last October and guess what?, yep it has come back! Doctor said the bones had drifted and said if I want it done again , they will (NHS). In the meantime I had my right foot done on 4th July this year, seems to be OK so far but then its still early days. The surgeon said my bones are very soft (I have two forms of Arthritis), so I'm not sure whether to go for it again. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you Jane.

I'm really concerned that I won't be able to have a second op

even though the Podiatrist said things will only get worse if

left.

Like you I had a double bunionecotomy last October and when I mentioned to the podiatrist that it was a chevron op she said

It was totally the wrong procedure and has done nothing to fix

the underlying problems with my feet and until these are

addressed there is nothing that will help resolve the issue bar

revised surgery. I'll make an appointment to see the Dr and

keep my fingers cross.

• Posted

So am going to see my original consultant surgeon in December to discuss fusing my second toe and redoing my big toe. I was supposed to go in September but had to have surgery on my other foot on my achellies tendon..
    • Posted

Thank you... I would hope that it is possible for me to be

referred to a different surgeon for a second opinion especially

as a Podiatrist has recommended that I need revised surgery

to put things right.... I really hate being an inconvenience to

anyone let alone busy people. I'm almost to frightened to ask

the Dr in case they say no but the podiatrist said they do do

revised surgey and in this case they should as things will only

get worse.

• Posted

I know what you mean.. I am the same I am always scared to ask things.. However my second toe was not right after my first operation and keeps folding downwards.. I can't even get a shoe on... When I mentioned it to my consultant.. He was really nice. It was also he who pointed out the fact that during a fall two weeks after my first operation.. I had broken it and might not be happy with the shape of my foot.. As it is he is right.. It's just a shame that my appointment with him had to be delayed due to this other operation.. However I was in a lot of pain and it was the most urgent of the two.. 
  • Posted

I had the surgery in CA 8 weeks ago and I had problems with the surgery.  I don't have proper blood  circulation.  My foot is bluesh and the surgen told me I am fine and ready to go to work.  I cannot even put a sandal or shoe.  He refused to signed for my sick leave (I have work 20 years without using my sick leave). 

The advise I can tell you do not go back with the same surgent to send you with one his friends.  Go to another one that you family doctor can send you. 

God help us

• Posted

Thank you marisol..

I'm in the UK and had my op done under the NHS so we don't

go straight back to the surgeon on our own say, I will have to

return to my Dr and ask for a referal and if she feels my caseis valied she'll then send me to see a consultant, so no friends

of surgeons involved.

I will request that it also be a second opinion so won't be goingback to the original surgeon.

Fingers crossed I at least get put in the system then I don't

mind a wait as long as they don't forget about me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.